• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson Surecolor 50670 - Carriage Rod Issues

Dtron10

Graphic Design/Production
Hello,
I was curious if there's anyone out there familiar with the Epson Surecolor 50670. I'm having some issues with I believe the carriage rod. I tried cleaning and lubing it....but not sure if that made it worse. My screen says "Carriage Error - 113C". If there's anyone out there that can please give me some assistance that would be greatly appreciated! I'm attaching a picture of the error message I keep getting. I'm hoping this is something I can simply handle and not have to get service involved. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20201206_123318.jpg
    20201206_123318.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 1,068

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Dtron
i am unfmiliar with your model
we do have about a dozen epson wide format printers

it sounds like your crrige motor is reching end of life, if i were guessing

did you look for missing or worn teeth on the belt?

unclebun

This is what the manual says:

• Code: 113C
  • Description: CR Motor reversing error
    The number of occurrences of reversing the CR Motor has reached a predetermined limit.
    • The polarity of CR Encoder cable is opposite.
    • The polarity of CR Motor cable is opposite.
    • Slipping of the teeth of CR Timing Belt
    • CR Encoder failure
  • Remedy: 1. Adjust the tension of the CR Timing Belt.
    2. Replace the CR Encoder.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
unclebun
i have seen more of these with missing or worn teeth, but encoder is a good bet

Dtron10

Dtron
i am unfmiliar with your model
we do have about a dozen epson wide format printers

it sounds like your crrige motor is reching end of life, if i were guessing

did you look for missing or worn teeth on the belt?

Thank you so much netsol for the response! The teeth seem to be in decent shape but maybe there's something I'm not seeing..I tried to attach a couple videos to help show exactly what it's doing and hopefully that will help you see what's going on more clearly....but unfortunately it looks like its too big to upload. Can I send you a couple videos through PM or I hate to even ask but possibly through email or text or something a little easier. It would be greatly appreciated!! I'm going to try and attach some pics of the belt/teeth. Seems in decent shape but I could be wrong, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20201207_205954.jpg
    20201207_205954.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 386
  • 20201207_205946.jpg
    20201207_205946.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 307
  • 20201207_205832.jpg
    20201207_205832.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 356
  • 20201207_205728.jpg
    20201207_205728.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 349
Last edited:

Dtron10

This is what the manual says:

• Code: 113C
  • Description: CR Motor reversing error
    The number of occurrences of reversing the CR Motor has reached a predetermined limit.
    • The polarity of CR Encoder cable is opposite.
    • The polarity of CR Motor cable is opposite.
    • Slipping of the teeth of CR Timing Belt
    • CR Encoder failure
  • Remedy: 1. Adjust the tension of the CR Timing Belt.
    2. Replace the CR Encoder.
Thank you so much for this information! It definitely gives me something to go off of. I'm at a loss...and trying my hardest not to have a service call appointment. But I'll definitely look into the options you mentioned. Wish I knew if it was possibly the CR Encoder stripe (please bare with me but I'm assuming that is the clear stripe of plastic (between my carriage rods) Thanks again! And how difficult are those to possibly change if that's the issue (the CR Encoder stripe)? Professional help? And also how can I possibly adjust the tension of CR timing belt? Thanks again for your time! Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:

netsol

Premium Subscriber
have you lubricated the carriage motor with a drop of wd40? (this is often the case with the older rolands, clean the encoder strip)

Dtron10

have you lubricated the carriage motor with a drop of wd40? (this is often the case with the older rolands, clean the encoder strip)
No I haven't tried lubricating the actual carriage motor. Not exactly sure where on the carriage motor to do that. The one thing I have done was attempting to lube the carriage rods with the included Epson carriage rod lubricant (blue paste) cleaned rods first then reapplied the carriage rod grease...and I did that after the carriage motor would kinda stick little bit around the capping station then error out with all lights coming on (a little after the capping station actually). I'll have to figure out where on the carriage motor to try that drop of WD40...and also no I've never cleaned the encoder strip. I hate to say that...but maybe thats a possible culprit? I know it's occasionally supposed to be done, but I've never done it before. I'm sure I can get the online manual on how to do that. I've seen it done on our HP360 latex printer at my work, so I'm somewhat familiar with it. Thanks again for all your help!

netsol

Premium Subscriber
try cleaning encoder strip

important to use the proper liquid

my rolands, you clean strip with acetone, not water based chemical, these you clean with denatured alcohol

wd40, just spray 1 drop in the end of motor where shaft comes out. you can wait a few minutes and do more than one. if you feel it is too tight, loosen the tension (?) JUST A LITTLE, not enough to let the belt slip

never had this issue (lucky i guess) but have run across tons of sony and panasonic industrial products (not printers) where the recommended lubricant thickens over time & causes a similar problem. try removing all the residue (not sure if i would use alcohol, wd40, whatever seems to cleanly remove the old lubricant) then relubricate

we could end up replacing carriage motor

if you think there is a "tight spot" that is probably what we need to get rid of

you can probably go into menu, look for "change sheet cutter blade" or however they phrase it. run carriage all along it's travel. clean & relubricate til it is free from end to end