• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson SureColor P800 Conversion

sign_noob

Is it possible to convert a Epson SureColor P800 printer into an eco solvent printer? I've read on this forum that it is possible but I don't know if its reliable. I usually have small signage to make and 17" format is all I really need.

I'm looking for an inexpensive but reliable way of printing on vinyl and then laminating instead of subbing the work out. The print shop that I use uses a latex printer and I'm pretty happy with them. The reason why I'm asking isn't necessarily for cost saving solution but rather turnaround time that it takes the print shop.

Please let me know if there are other printer solutions that you have experience with. Or if this question has already been answered somewhere else, please attach a link so that I can be educated on this topic. My needs don't require a $6,000 machine at this time.

EDIT: After doing a little more research, I'm finding that it probably isn't a very viable solution to use an [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]aqueous based print head on eco solvent inks. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Any recommendations on a viable printer? I don't necessarily need it to cut the vinyl. I just need a good printer.[/FONT]

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You can get a used SP-300V 30" printer/cutter for $4,000 to $6,000 depending on how old and what shape it is in. Check Ebay and (seriously) craigslist. Used Mutoh VJ1204s go for around the same price but are 48" and printer only. There are new 30" and 24" machines that work very well but it sounds like they are out of your budget and needs. They go for $8,000 to $10,000 normally.