• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Equip Upgrade Advice

struthmuffin

Hey everyone, been on the forum for a while looking up answers when I need them, and I appreciate the help people give around here.

I am traditionally an offset and digital printer and have brought on a signage shop back at the beginning of the summer. I just need a little help with my current decision.

The business is producing its outdoor signage with an agfa grand sherpa 64inch (eco-sol), and with a onyx postershop 6.5 rip... the heads on the agfa are pretty beat, the prints are sellable, but barely. The profiles are out to lunch, there is some heavy banding, and the test prints are not looking good. I am much more of a perfectionist but money is not unlimited of course.

I could buy new heads and replace which I figure would be 4-5000, but I could also pick up a Mimaki jv-33 64in for about $15000 from a local supplier that is ready to go in their demo room. I would also be inclined to upgrade the postershop to 10.2 for just under 1000.. (which I think would be the better route)

What I am hoping someone can help me with is just to let me know if going to the Mimaki and upgrade the rip is a decent decision.. I am not a complete rookie, but my real experience and knowledge has been with offset and digital.

Appreciate any quick advice that someone can throw my way before I pull the trigger.

thanks!