• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Equipment recommendation - Roll Up Banner, foamcore, gatorboard

jpm2112

Hello everyone,

My first post here and I hope I am posting this in the proper forum.

I've recently acquired a used Epson 9900 with a Fiery XF rip and I've recently been get many requests for Roll Up Banners, foam core work and gator board work.

Will the Epson 9900 be good for these things? ( I understand that I may need a laminator as well.) Or will another type of printer be better? (latex, eco-solvent, or another ink solution?)

Cheers,

JP

Reveal1

Hello everyone,

My first post here and I hope I am posting this in the proper forum.

I've recently acquired a used Epson 9900 with a Fiery XF rip and I've recently been get many requests for Roll Up Banners, foam core work and gator board work.

Will the Epson 9900 be good for these things? ( I understand that I may need a laminator as well.) Or will another type of printer be better? (latex, eco-solvent, or another ink solution?)

Cheers,

JP
Welcome to the forums. Since that's primarily a photographic printer, I'm not sure of it's media handling capabilities other than photo papers. As Chicago Graphics noted, it is for indoor prints. If it will print on adhesive vinyl you could mount your prints on foamboard/gator board. Another option is to print on paper and use spray adhesive to mount to rigid substrates. We use Grimco's Briteline Rollup for retractable banners (we have several HP latex printers), although again I would want to be sure your printer could handle that fairly rigid media and that it is compatible with pigment inks. I'm guessing the pigment ink costs would make you far less competitive than using the typical sign shop solvent, UV or latex printers albeit with potentially better image reproduction.

Thanks for all the answers!

BTW … I didn't get the printer for sign work. I also got it for a steal!

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you didn't pay much because the 9900s are a generation old, we had 4 at one point and ended up giving them away since they have little value with Epson's new printers (Surecolor P9000/P10000/P20000). It doesn't really matter what you paid for it because the 9900s were great printers and a good value at their regular retail price so it's likely you got a fair price.

The SP9900 served two main markets: Photo printing and Proofing for screen/offset/litho/etc. We used them for art decor printing, but we also were able to buy pressure sensitive vinyl and laminate to create prints that could go out doors for several years (but rarely did this as we also have UV, Eco Solvent, and latex printers). If you put a laminate on your prints you could very well produce roll up banners (assuming you find a non curl polyester aqueous printable material), and since foam core and gator foam are indoor materials I don't see why you couldn't sell mounted prints to both materials (don't try to compete on pricing for foam core/gator prints with online companies as they will direct print and that process is a fraction of the cost that your process will end up being).

To answer your question though of if a different type of printer is better for producing gator foam or foam core prints - that depends on the application. If it's a sign than yes those printer types might be better, but if it's a mounted photo print than no, your printer would be most likely be a better printer. And going even more in depth, if you are trying to make signs than a UV printer would be the best method because even though UV image quality is lower than Solvent/Latex, most Uv printers today have decent to good image quality and are cheaper/faster/more durable without laminating when making signs.

Best of luck and again, welcome to the forum!

jpm2112

Thanks for the input DSGI. I look into some UV printers as well. I'm running head first into this stuff. So, I continue to send jobs out until I get enough work and knowledge! :)