• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

eradication

Colorburst

I have been asked to estimate changing the name on a awning. It is rounded at the top, flat on the front and lighted from inside. I'm pretty sure the existing graphics were eradicated. Other similar awning in the same complex have been changed and have a white panel on the flat front. This one was an original tenant so I think when others were changed someone eradicated the front and then applied vinyl with the graphics cut out to the surface. I actually covered another face in this complex this way but it was already white. I just had to clean off the old adhesive. Enough background, here are the questions. Can I eradicate this front face of the awning with the awning in place? If so I assume it will make a mess on the sidewalk below, so what about cleaning it up? Is it considered hazadous or can I just wash it off the sidewalk with a hose into the gutter? I have no experience removing and installing awnings and my shop is not big enough to spred it out and eradicate there and re-install. Should I try to expand my experience or is this one better left alone, walk away and refer the customer to someone with the expertise to do the job?
Thanks

Attachments

• 0317011528b.jpg
    0317011528b.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 114

round man

If you try to do it on location use a mask like you would for spraying car paints the last one me and a buddy did we ended up sitting like two fools on the sidewalk laughing our a$$ off at anything that moved after about half n hour,..we had to climb down from our platform in order to keep from falling we were so silly,...as for the mess have a bag to dispose of your old rags and a good supply of clean rags and the eradication fluid. a drop cloth might not be a bad idea either,..

JR's

Hey Color,

Number one yes you could eradicate the awning in place.
No it will not make a mess on the sidewalk if it does you're using too much a ratification fluid. But it would not hurt putting down a dropcloth. It's much cheaper than cleaning off the sidewalk or getting a fine for dumping hazardous material in the drain.
At your supply house where you're going to buy your coolie magic ask if they have a scrap piece of awning material so you could practice on.

Make sure to wear rubber gloves and eye protection. It burns like a son of a gun if you get it in your eye.

Funny story after hours in the back of the warehouse my brother and I eradicating a 60 foot long awning I got some coolie magic in my eye. There was no water to be found it burned so bad that I wouldn't care if my brother relieved himself in my eye to make it stop burning. True story

JR

PS I like to use white paper towels instead of rags. I fold them into fours and rotate it inside out to get a clean spot. So I could use one paper towel four times to get a clean swipe.

Colorburst

Thanks. The area I need to eradicate is about 4' x 20'. Any thoughts on how much fluid and how much time? Does it go pretty quick or does it require a lot of rubbing to clean out a spot?