• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Erased Profiles

Signs2u

Looking for advice. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and then added a new printer to our shop. When installing the new printer the vendor erased Versaworks (RIP) and all of my custom profiles. Because we upgraded to Windows 10 they are not retrievable via our backup. The most urgent issue is that we had a few jobs half printed when this happened so we had to print them completely again as the color matching was way off.

What would you do if you were in my situation? The vendor knows they messed up and offered some $$ but the amount they offered doesn't even cover the expense to reprint the stuff we had to redo. This of course doesn't touch any warranty issues we may have with stuff we printed over the past 5 years. Anyone know how to put a value on custom profiles?

Thanks!

Custom profiles that have been used in a RIP-based production environment have a very high value to the business, but I don't know how to quantify it. The last step in the profile creation process (after validation) must be to capture the packaged file format that the RIP uses (.RML is the packaged media file format for Versaworks, other RIPs have their own equivalent formats), export it, and then be sure to archive the file using your long-term archival backup strategy.

Losing a custom media profile can have a larger effect on your business than losing customer job files in my opinion.

Signs2u

Custom profiles that have been used in a RIP-based production environment have a very high value to the business, but I don't know how to quantify it. The last step in the profile creation process (after validation) must be to capture the packaged file format that the RIP uses (.RML is the packaged media file format for Versaworks, other RIPs have their own equivalent formats), export it, and then be sure to archive the file using your long-term archival backup strategy.

Losing a custom media profile can have a larger effect on your business than losing customer job files in my opinion.

Would you please email me mike@boisesigns.com -- I tried to call your number on the website and it said disconnected.

greysquirrel

what media manufacturer are you using? Roland now has "other" manufacturer profiles available on their website. Avery, 3M etc...

I would not pay someone to come write custom profiles I would invest in an iOne. Then you can create your own profiles or in most cases, re-linearize a canned profile for more consistent color and performance.