• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Error 40 X-Motor

Coffee Creative

Printer in question is a Mimaki JV3-160SP printer

Completed a final print for a customer and as the media was feeding forward a "POP" was heard, the printer displays error 40 x-motor and press enter.
I referred to the manual and it said to replace the x-motor, Upon replacing the x-motor as the manual says the error 40 still remains.

Does anyone have any experience with this error?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
X 40 is an overload error. The motor is requiring too much voltage to push the media forward. With the machine turned off try to move the grit roller manually. Try to figure out if it is jammed or getting caught up on something. If it moves smoothly, check all of the connections from the motor to the worm drive for anything that may be slipping or jamming the gears. Sometimes it is just vinyl that got stuck in the grit roller and it is keeping it from running smoothly.

It may sound obvious but I have had this problem before and it ended up being the vinyl was at the end and taped onto the roll which caused the motor to have to pull too hard to get the taped vinyl off. Make sure that is not happening to you.

Coffee Creative

I examined the grit roller and did find some debris, cleared the roller and pressed enter to reset. Unfortunately, the error 40 is still displayed.

Coffee Creative

Since you mentioned that it is an overload error, I have disconnected the x-motor shaft from the grit roller in order for it to run without any resistance. After restart the error still displays in the monitor, is there a sensor that I may be missing somewhere?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That "POP' you heard may have been the main board blowing up. It is responsible for sending the voltage to the motor. If the main board can't get the voltage to the motor, it still can tell if the motor is running or not. If the main board doesn't think the motor is running after it sends the voltage, it errors out. Unless someone else has any simpler ideas to try first, I would start thinking about replacing the main board. There are potentiometers on the board that you can adjust the voltage to see if that works but hearing the POP would not be affected by that.