• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Error Code (EO74 cr2 current) on VJ1604

oldog

Hello I'm trying to figure this one out but I sure could use some help! I posted about this problem before ,back on 10-11-2010 titled (VJ1604 dies over flushing sponge) . It seems to me that a clue to trouble shooting mine is that the carrage always dies directly over the right hand side flushing sponge . I have tried several things , most of them I mentioned in the replies to that old post. The printer can't be used like it is . Every time you turn it on, it initializes , the carrage then goes back to the capping station like it should, but when you try to print or even do a nozzle check the pump will pump, the carrage will move over and the wipper will wipe the head, the carrage goes back over the capping station, then moves over the flushing sponge and thats it!! code pops up . after the code pops up, you can turn off the power and manually move the carrage back to the capping station. Then turn the power back on only to have the same thing happen over and over again. If you don't move the carrage manually back to the capping station and turn the power back on the carrage will move itself back over the capping station and automatically do a head clean cycle. This head clean cycle and a little print head soaking that I do is the only activity that the print head has been getting for over a month you know thats not good ! Thanks to the folks that replied to my post last time and for those that reply this time.

jiarby

So, you have been out of business for 3 weeks? When are you going to call a qualified technician to come fit your problem?

You already posted the exact same problem earlier... why do you expect a different result now?

You tried (in other post) to fix it yourself, or get online assistance. No one solved your problem.

Maybe it is time to call in the calvary. Chuck at Mutoh can fix anything. Call him.

Headhunterx

Check your steel belt that carries the carriage across sounds like it is loose. Tighten it a little and see if that helps.

oldog

thanks guys

jiarby - thanks for your reply. just to explain why i posted it again - the first time i was in the middle of a couple of big sign installation jobs that required almost all of my attention. I often couldn't get to the computer until late at night - some nights not at all. when i posted it i didn't have the actual error code at home where i was posting from. i didn't interact with the responders very well. I'm in the St. Louis area and it's apparently not a big "Mutoh" town. From what I've been told - a tech would have to be flown in (sounds like alot of money). In the past I've had a pretty good nack for fixing just about anything - (short of curcuit boards) that people throw my way. I appreciate the tip about calling Chuck at Mutoh. Is he a tech that travels, or is he in house? Another reason I posted it again is that I often see Randy's name on these posts and he seems to be a "Mutoh Zeus".

Headhunterx - thanks for your reply. My steel belt seems to be really taunt. I'm wondering what your thought process on how a loose belt could make the carraige stop directly over the flushing sponge - probably 50 times in a row if you tried it that many. (always precisely over the flushing sponge.)

encadtech - thanks for your reply too. I'm wondering what your thought process is too, regaring the capping station. The head moves away from the capping station and always stops directly over the flushing sponge. The capping station, wiper, and pumps all seem to be operating correctly.

Headhunterx

Headhunterx - thanks for your reply. My steel belt seems to be really taunt. I'm wondering what your thought process on how a loose belt could make the carraige stop directly over the flushing sponge - probably 50 times in a row if you tried it that many. (always precisely over the flushing sponge.)

Because I had a Falcon II that would stop at exactly the same place every time I started it up and it took me some time to find out what the cause was and I tightened the belt a little and it stopped doing it. It could also be your feed motor going bad.

GRAPHIFER

Hi oldog, I have a service manual for the Falcon II and that code error on this machine refers as E 074Cover / Trouble occurred in the cover sensor (1) check the cover sensor via "test/Sensor" of the self-diagnostic function. •Make sure that the connection of the cover sensor assembly is good •Mainboard: J155 -J1156. Now keep in mind this is a manual for a Falcon II but all printer are very similar and can be a possibility that the sensor to tell the carriage where stop is not doing it. Maybe is damage or misplace only.

Try that.

randya

If I recall correctly the CR2 error is pretty much a catch all for otherwise unspecified errors.

So these are not always easy to troubleshoot.

I would:

Tape down the head locking mechanism temporarily to make sure the solenoid is not the issue.

Then:

Clean and inspect the T-fence.
Check the T-fence sensor and encoder (in maintenance mode)
Clean and inspect the pf encoder (located under the far left end cover)
Make sure this is not warped or damaged. (again can be checked in maintenance mode)
Check the wiper sensor.(again can be checked in maintenance mode)
Check your CR board ribbon cables.

No, no Zeus, just doing what I can to help when I can.

Last edited:

jiarby

I hope it works out for you//

RandyA is Mutoh's ambassador here, but I am not sure what his real job is. He is probably not Zeus there... but certainly Atlas!

Chuck is a service tech and one of the guys that you can get on the phone. I hope he still works there, it was almost 2 yrs ago when I was there and saw him. I do not know if he is a guy they would send on the road. They probably have a referral network and use certified dealers and 3rd party techs for stuff not local to PHX.

Check the plunger directly below the head height lever. It gets bent to the left. This is very common. the metal it is attached to gets bent. A little field adapting(bend it back to 90degrees) usually fixes it.

HaroldDesign

Check the plunger directly below the head height lever. It gets bent to the left. This is very common. the metal it is attached to gets bent. A little field adapting(bend it back to 90degrees) usually fixes it.

+1
I made the same suggestion in a previous thread Old Dog posted about the same issue. Either it's not the problem, or he doesn't understand what we're talking about...

oldog

Headhunterx - thanks for your help. I know yours always stoped in the same place every time, but do you mean it stopped over the flushing sponge or in a different location. Is there a test to find out if the feed motor is going bad - that you know of? The material appears to move in and out normally during initialization.

Graphifer - thanks for your help too. My code doesn't mention the cover - it mentions the current. But I'm going to check those sensors.

Randya - thanks for your advice. As far as the head locking mechanism - I'll tape it down, but my carraige goes past it without touching it and moves over to the flushing sponge. I have cleaned the t-fence, I've even taken it off because someone at Mutoh told me I could swich it from end to end. But you can't on the VJ 1604. I used a magnifying glass and visually inspected all the hash marks on the t-fence, especially the ones near where the sensor is when the carraige / head is directly over the flushing sponge. All the hash marks look perfect to me. There was virtually no evidence of any dirt or debris on the cleaning cloth after cleaning it. I also cleaned the t-fence sensor. I have not inspected the pf encoder. I didn't associate that with the problem. But I'll check and clean it - that should be easy. I wasn't aware there is a wiper sensor. But I know the wiper moves out and wipes the head before it moves over to the flushing sponge. I've checked my ribbon cables all over the machine - they all look plugged in and fine. I have also manually moved my carraige back and forth and can't feel any areas that it binds up at all. I've checked the bearings and they all look fine to me. Currently the machine always freezes up over the flushing sponge. But not very long ago, it would just freeze up peiodically. If I would print a 3' x 3' print, it would print 1/3 to 1/2 of it just fine and then the carraige would stay over the right side flushing sponge just a little bit longer than it normally would. Maybe one or two seconds instead of a 1/2 second. It might make ten passes where it stayed over the flushing sponge more than normal, then it might speed back up and only be over the flushing sponge 1/2 second another ten passes and then slow down again until it quit and the error code pops up.
How do you check the t-fence encoder, pf encoder and the wiper sensor in maintenance mode?
I still think youre from Mount Olympus!

DSD and HaroldDesign - thanks guys - My plunger isn't bent or hitting but I'm still going to tape it down for the heck of it - like Randy suggested. But it goes right past the plunger. I took the plastic off the carraige and I can see that its not hitting anything. Thanks again for all the help.

Compilla

Headhunterx - thanks for your help. I know yours always stoped in the same place every time, but do you mean it stopped over the flushing sponge or in a different location. Is there a test to find out if the feed motor is going bad - that you know of? The material appears to move in and out normally during initialization.

Graphifer - thanks for your help too. My code doesn't mention the cover - it mentions the current. But I'm going to check those sensors.

Randya - thanks for your advice. ones near where the sensor is when sensor. But I know the wiper moves out and wipes the head before it moves over to the flushing sponge. I've checked my ribbon cables all over the machine - they all look plugged in and fine. I have also manually moved my carraige back and forth and can't feel any areas that it binds up at all. I've checked the bearings and they all look fine to me. Currently the machine always freezes up over the flushing sponge. But not very long ago, it would just freeze up peiodically. If I would print a 3' x 3' print, it would print 1/3 to 1/2 of it just fine and then the carraige would stay over the right side flushing sponge just a little bit longer than it normally would. Maybe one or two seconds instead of a 1/2 second. It might make ten passes where it stayed over the flushing sponge more than normal, then it might speed back up and only be over the flushing sponge 1/2 second another ten passes and then slow down again until it quit and the error code pops up.
How do you check the t-fence encoder, pf encoder and the wiper sensor in maintenance mode?
I still think youre from Mount Olympus!

DSD and HaroldDesign - thanks guys - My plunger isn't bent or hitting but I'm still going to tape it down for the heck of it - like Randy suggested. But it goes right past the plunger. I took the plastic off the carraige and I can see that its not hitting anything. Thanks again for all the help.

Hey did you fix the issue? What was the problem?

Newbie_on

Oldog:
Not sure what you did to fix yours??
You're not alone, mine is doing the same!
I done all the things that other member suggested and still won't pass the flushing box.
I can run a CR endurance test all day long, but when I tried to print erros out even whit a darn nozzle test!!

Gabriel

If it's in the same place all the time, is it possible to be some bad connector. Some interrupted contact somewhere maybe??
Maybe something related to CR motor or CR board?

Newbie_on

If it's in the same place all the time, is it possible to be some bad connector. Some interrupted contact somewhere maybe??
Maybe something related to CR motor or CR board?

Im afraid that at this point it's a guessing game.
After further investigation, I noticed a "squeaky" sound from the CR motor gear. I can do the motor test and set it 90 and the carriage moves back and foward with no errors. Only when it tries to print it dies in the same exact place. I guess I'll start with a motor, speed reduction belt and the drive pulley
unless someone else has another ideas?

Gabriel

Do you know how to recalibrate the capping position and the linear encoder. I guess it's something with the positions of the printing carriage and the capping unit.
Just a thought..

Newbie_on

Do you know how to recalibrate the capping position and the linear encoder. I guess it's something with the positions of the printing carriage and the capping unit.
Just a thought..

Thanks for helping!

I never heard of such "calibration" on a Mutoh VJ. What is it called?

HIGHTEC

to old dog

Old Dog...

Could be a bad encoder strip, there was another person on the forum that had your same problem and he cleaned the encoder strip and that fix the problem. Also if your machine is over 3 years old and and you use it every day, replace the Y axis motor.

Just replace an encoder strip on an HP9000 solvent large format printer. But the reason it was replace there was lines in the print. Replace encoder strip, fix problem. Those encoder strips have indicators that seen to rub off and it they go bad, the prints do not turn out right and error codes happen.

Hightec Digital

PhatWall

i believe your problem has to do with your encoder wheel!! it is on the lest side of the printer under the side plastic!! take off the cover and make sure there are no scratches or dust the see if the problem stops. you may need to order a new one!!