• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Error codes on VJ1604

nssxrx

I'm getting 2 error codes on one of four 1604's we use. E 065 and E 071. Both are related and have something to do with the paper feed motor. I've looked in the manual and aside from giving instructions to check the diagnostic for it (which only gives numbers with no explanation that I can find,) it advises replacing parts.

Directions are: Check "Encoder PF" from "Check 2: Test" -> "Test 5: Encoder" of self diagnosis function. Which gives me the following CR 0000 PF 0000. But like I say, no details as to what that means. I've also cleaned the encoder wheel and swapped out the PF motor.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do next?

heyskull

I think this is an encoder disk error.
Take off the cover of the left hand side (looking from front).
There is the PF Disk encoder. On top is the encoder sensor.
The Encoder disk may be dirty, clean with alcohol.
Also with the machine turned off and powered down pull material through the machine by hand whilst looking at the gap between disk and encoder.
If this is buckled most lightly, and this is an early machine without the white bush spacer in the centre (this item was an upgrade) it will need one put in. This makes sure the disk stays central. I would also fit a new encoder disk as it may have been marked by the sensor as they are not overly expensive.

SC

got these type of error before we been searching and isolating the probable cause by replacing all parts and boards one by one in an identical running model, but nothing happen until I curiously remove the lock on the carriage, I found out that the solenoid which moves that lock on that carriage has ink build up, and the machine has hard times to initialize and that giving it the error. After removing it it works and run again. hope this helps.

nssxrx

this is an early machine without the white bush spacer in the centre (this item was an upgrade) SC

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but the machines have a white plastic part with two small posts that centre the encoder wheel. This same piece is the bracket that holds the sensor in place.

I also cleaned the encoder wheel with IPA and, for now at least, it is running fine.