• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Etched Aluminum-Safety Orange

AKProbeGT

I have a customer asking me to quote aluminum plates like the attached proof. The proof states that these are etched and safety orange. Any idea how that would be done? I'm thinking they are really screenprinting these but maybe there is a process I'm not aware of.

Attachments

• Proof etch.jpg
    Proof etch.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 103

rjssigns

Find your local industrial laser shop. Maybe they can etch then cut out the pieces? Then you could color fill with automotive urethane.

Another option may be sandblasting then color filling.

visual800

This is absolutely uncalled for esspecially when you can do these in a more modern and less invasive way. Go ahead and quote what they want and add a second quote with a more sensible item for the time period we live in.

gotta wonder who is asking for this?

arzu

Best quality: fill with paint after etching. Milling is too expensive for the quantity.
Best price: screenprinting

axis

Job it out. This requires a combination of screen printing, acid (or alkaline) etching, and painting. It doesn't sound like you have any experience with (or equipment for) these processes, which will guarantee that you'll lose your shirt trying to produce them.

So quote them on the marked-up, jobbed out etch/fill panels and an alternate version, produced in-house, that you think would meet their needs.

CES020

One note, the material thickness is specified as .032" aluminum. That's quite thin. Chemical etching deep enough to get the fill is going to take a little depth. Since that sign is double sided, I'm not sure it would be possible to get very deep with it being double sided. Just something to pay attention to when quoting it.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I would sub it out to Steel Art. Their "etch and fill" is actually blasted. It gives the same result. "Etch and fill" is an old term that is often used out of default. As long as the finished product is what they want, you should be fine. Blasting has replaced etching in many instances.

AKProbeGT

I would sub it out to Steel Art. Their "etch and fill" is actually blasted. It gives the same result. "Etch and fill" is an old term that is often used out of default. As long as the finished product is what they want, you should be fine. Blasting has replaced etching in many instances.

Sent them an email, thanks.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Might get a faster response if you don't go through their general email system. If you don't get a response, try mattr@steelartco.com and tell him Moze referred you. They're good people and turn out some of the best products on the market.