• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Etched Glass vinyl application

sand_bags

Hey all, I've been a graphic designer/vinyl installer for about two years, largely self-taught. First post here, thought I'd solicit some opinions.

I've got a job coming up installing some etched glass cal, Oracal 8510. I've been told that wet application is preferable for this kind of material, which is also what the Orafol website recommends. I almost always prefer wet applications for other materials (3651, 3850, etc.) but the few times I've worked with etched vinyl it's given me less trouble when dry. Am I missing something obvious?

IFO Hal

I've done wet and dry. Haven't had many problems with small areas dry, but large coverage, like half a window or door, I run into bubbles dry. Usually they fade on their own after a few days, but I have better results wet. A few drops of Dawn in a spray bottle of water is my go-to for this.

unclebun

Depends what you are doing with the etch look vinyl. If you're cutting lettering and applying it as you would other vinyl lettering, do it dry. If you're applying large sheets to "frost" the window, do it wet like window tint.

AaronSSsignsKC

8510 is one of the easiest etched films to apply it is thicker than some of the other films on the market such as 3m 7725. I install smaller pieces of 8510 dry and call it good. Bigger panels or full coverage windows I would wet apply. Good luck