• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Etched Glass Vinyl Suggestions Needed!

Tek Wrap

I am trying to install etched glass vinyl on large office interior windows. The windows are 56" x 72". The customer was concerned about the estimate when I quoted him using 3M etched Glass. It's the only roll, other than General Formulations brand, that came in 60" so that I would not have seams.

He did not accept the quote so I told him we could get the cost down with the GF brand, although I HATE "cheaping out" on material. But we did it since it saved him $400 on the job.I was very unhappy with the results and embarrassed to show the customer. He actually agreed that using the cheap material might not have been a good idea.

I know one mistake we made was overlapping sheets of premask because we didn't have a 60" roll of it. Whereever the overlap was we had bubbles. But even other areas that I thought would have no issue were covered in air pockets.

I will not be using the product to finish the install. I am looking for suggestions for install techniques, or anyone else that has had experience with General Formations Etched Vinyl. Do you think I should go with 3M? Need some help please!

Thanks!

bulldozer

I am trying to install etched glass vinyl on large office interior windows. The windows are 56" x 72". The customer was concerned about the estimate when I quoted him using 3M etched Glass. It's the only roll, other than General Formulations brand, that came in 60" so that I would not have seams.

He did not accept the quote so I told him we could get the cost down with the GF brand, although I HATE "cheaping out" on material. But we did it since it saved him $400 on the job.I was very unhappy with the results and embarrassed to show the customer. He actually agreed that using the cheap material might not have been a good idea.

I know one mistake we made was overlapping sheets of premask because we didn't have a 60" roll of it. Whereever the overlap was we had bubbles. But even other areas that I thought would have no issue were covered in air pockets.

I will not be using the product to finish the install. I am looking for suggestions for install techniques, or anyone else that has had experience with General Formations Etched Vinyl. Do you think I should go with 3M? Need some help please!

Thanks!

is it reverse-weed? if it's a bunch of lettering or a graphic you won't have to use 60" material. panel it then line it up. if it's full coverage, i THINK oracal makes a 60". don't quote me on that though.

as far as feeling bad that you screwed the job up, that is on the customer. he wanted a lower price, so you gave him what he wanted.

fine point

I have been using Vector Dusted Crystal from Beacon Graphics.
All my clients have been happy with them. Installation can be tricky and I don't think I can manage without using tons of application fluid.

I am not familiar with other brands, but Vector Dusted Crystal feels very "soft" and it stretches very easy and leave stretch marks. Not my favorite medium to work with.

FP

the graphics co

What was your technique for the install? Did you try to do it dry? Frosted films are almost exclusively wet install. I would think that would keep you from getting bubbles where you have the premask overlapping.

the graphics co

also you should be able to butt seam any frosted without the risk of shrinking, this allows for a visibly seamless install on large panels.

S'N'S

I've used Neofilm air release silver frosted etched vinyl (only comes 1370mm wide) and is ok to apply dry on large areas but on small tight areas I used wet apply. You need to be very careful removing the liner on this stuff as it creases REALLY easy even though they say it doesn't, but I also wasn't using mask and working in confined space probably didn't help. Can print on with solvent or UV as well.