• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Etched Vinyl with logos cut out

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
Hi everyone,
First post...

I've installed etched vinyl before (dry) when it's been letters/logos/etc.
I've also installed full panels (wet), but today I had to install 4 full panels with logos cut out.
I cut the vinyl, applied paper transfer tape over the cut out parts, then used a soapy water mixture to saturate the vinyl and window for application.

Didn't go well. Where the transfer tape was the vinyl didn't "wick" onto the glass fully so I have bubbles.
The rest of it was perfect. BUT I ruined 3 of my panels.

So, wasted time and materials.
What am I doing wrong?
How should this properly be done?

Thanks!
Dan

d fleming

RapidtacII for glass is what I use. I would also tape the entire piece to protect vinyl from squeegee pressure required. Then squeegee like a madman. Some small bubbles may persist but will go away in a few days. Hard sgueegee with felt on one side and lots of pressure.

Msrae

Rae
Hi everyone,
First post...

I've installed etched vinyl before (dry) when it's been letters/logos/etc.
I've also installed full panels (wet), but today I had to install 4 full panels with logos cut out.
I cut the vinyl, applied paper transfer tape over the cut out parts, then used a soapy water mixture to saturate the vinyl and window for application.

Didn't go well. Where the transfer tape was the vinyl didn't "wick" onto the glass fully so I have bubbles.
The rest of it was perfect. BUT I ruined 3 of my panels.

So, wasted time and materials.
What am I doing wrong?
How should this properly be done?

Thanks!
Dan

Were the windows warm? Some bubbles will solve themselves with just a little time and warmth, but if they are large bubbles you may have an issue Did you try popping them with a very small pinhole and then using a felt squeegee to work out the soap water solution? It sounds like you may have used a bit too much of the wet apply. Rapid tac works well and I usually only have to apply a small amount.

Snydo

RapidtacII for glass is what I use. I would also tape the entire piece to protect vinyl from squeegee pressure required. Then squeegee like a madman. Some small bubbles may persist but will go away in a few days. Hard sgueegee with felt on one side and lots of pressure.
+1 -RT2 makes tedious installs simple, soak the area with the logo, squeegee problem area hard and thoroughly.

Johnny Best

I agree with everyone about using Rapid Tac, also I use to use a felt squeegee but started to use a Geek Wraps soft edge marine squeegee and have better results in getting out bubbles and fluid. I also try to use cast etch materials whenever possible. Also if you wet the back of the transfer paper it removes easier in some cases, but you have to let the etch material dry before removing the transfer paper so the adhesive has a chance to stick to the glass. Practice on some glass at the shop for drying time in removal of transfer paper so you don't waste your panels and time at the job site.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Marlene

while the transfer tape is still in the panel, I pull places open where the graphics are and there is clear glass and work the fluid towards those areas to get it out from under the frosted.

• Agree
Reactions: a77

FatCat

The only thing I don't like about the MacTac B-Free is that it often looks "streaky" or "blotchy" with light/dark areas after you install. Eventually it does go away - sometimes takes weeks, and thats a hard thing to explain to a picky customer...

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Recently I have been using MacTac's B-Free dusted/frosted. It has air release, so no more doing it wet or worrying about bubbles.

Same here, just remeber there are 2 versions, the printable and the not so printable.

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
Thanks for the replies. I have some rapid tac II but I never really noticed a difference between that and my water/dish soap solution.
I'll have to try it again. I am also a fan of the felt-wrapped squeegee and use the felt side for getting the water/air out.
As for these panels, I only had the transfer tape over the cut-out logo parts. Those were the parts that gave me trouble. The un-taped sections just fell right into place. It's like the tape was preventing the vinyl from laying against the glass flat. Do you all use paper transfer tape? I have some clear plastic TT I could try too, but I fear that would do the same thing.

MrSigns

rapid tac for me. wait awhile for the vinyl to adhere before removing transfer tape. Also I wet all of the paper type transfer tape, you will need practice for how long to soak transfer tape. The tape will release easier, great trick when you apply vinyls to acrylics or polycarbonate.

xxaxx

+1 for me on the Mactac B-Free ... I used that once and decided right then that I will probably never go back to anything else. I've never had any issues with it being sketchy or blotchy like was mentioned above though, maybe there was a bad lot or something? I have had great results on every size install, with or without needing mask for die-cuts, and on every surface I have tried.

If you are set on the wet install though then I agree that Rapid Tac is the way to go. Let the frosted dry a little while after it is installed then soak the mask .. let the paper mask soak it up a bit and it will pull off without pulling up any edges on the frosted.

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
Never thought of wetting the transfer tape... I've always just soaked the window and the sticky side of the etch.
I can see how soaking the TT may soften it and allow the vinyl to be manipulated onto the glass better.
I'll give it a shot. May also try out the mactac product.

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
So as for the B-Free, it looks like "Frosted" is more like regular ol' etched glass vinyl. (as opposed to the "Dusted")
My vinyl supplier can get it but the MacTac rep told him that it's better if it's printed. Using a squeegee to install it leaves marks.
Printing hides the marks, but I've only ever been requested to print on etch one other time... and I turned down the job.
Anyway, for those who use B-Free as just window etch, is the scratching issue an issue?

Chasez

If you have too much soap in the water the vinyl will be a PITA to get it to stick, but make sure you just use enough soapy water and a card and squeegee the water out, wet the premask and let it sit for a couple minutes and then peel off the mask. Done and done.

Chaz

Malkin

So as for the B-Free, it looks like "Frosted" is more like regular ol' etched glass vinyl. (as opposed to the "Dusted")
My vinyl supplier can get it but the MacTac rep told him that it's better if it's printed. Using a squeegee to install it leaves marks.
Printing hides the marks, but I've only ever been requested to print on etch one other time... and I turned down the job.
Anyway, for those who use B-Free as just window etch, is the scratching issue an issue?

I've switched to using he B-Free. I think the main thing is to tape it, even if full panel, which will prevent scratching the top surface, and then use very firm, even pressure with a rigid squeegee like the back edge of a Geek Wraps chrome (orange stuff on 1 side). Most of the mottling/discoloration/streaks are due to tiny amounts of air still hiding in the adhesive. You have to develop a firm, even technique to eliminate that issue. Overall I still prefer it to non-air egress etch vinyls.

johnnysigns

I'm flooding office windows with the Mactac dusted bubble free film and it takes some technique to apply it without leaving any squeegee marks. That said it's not impossible by any means. If the panels are larger than you're comfortable with bring help. Managing squeegee pressure consistently is what is the hardest for a streak free application. The film is quite forgiving if you do manage wrinkles or have any over stretching/whitening. A light dash of a torch or heat gun and you're right back in business. I'm using the buffer side of a geek wraps squeegee. It's a lot softer than I Though I'd like, but I'm getting better results with that than my standard monkeywraps buffer on a 3M Gold.

* meant to add I'm using raw film with no application tape.

d fleming

Thanks for the replies. I have some rapid tac II but I never really noticed a difference between that and my water/dish soap solution.
I'll have to try it again. I am also a fan of the felt-wrapped squeegee and use the felt side for getting the water/air out.
As for these panels, I only had the transfer tape over the cut-out logo parts. Those were the parts that gave me trouble. The un-taped sections just fell right into place. It's like the tape was preventing the vinyl from laying against the glass flat. Do you all use paper transfer tape? I have some clear plastic TT I could try too, but I fear that would do the same thing.
Stop using soap and water. Rapid tac II is for glass and infinitely better on it than original rapid tac. Def wet the back of paper transfer tape to remove. If you wet it and let it sit too long it can become a stringy mess so don't dawdle. Tape the entire panel for consistency. Felt squeegee of felt covered squeegee to avoid marring the finish. Clear tape is a good choice for multi color work but you cannot wet the back of it to help with removal. All it will do is get wet. Also if you use clear tape and do a wet install it will just about never stick, the liquid cannot escape or evaporate. That's all I got, lol.

jfiscus

Rap Master
MacTac offers both dusted and frosted style films in the BFree material. Never had an issue with it here, but our guys use the GeekWrap squeegees.

alex242

Hi, We're making a lot of frosted installs. We use Metamark brand.
We use clear transfer.
Its a complex design, it takes a lot of care to peel of the backing liner. We use just tap water for installing, saturating both glass and adhesive. After install leave the transfer for 24 hrs until dry, peel it and squeeze using a felt pad. There are some air bubbles but they go away within a couple of days.

I like to try Rapid Tac but its unavailable here in Chile. Some use a solution of gentle soap with water, but the plain water just do the job.

IMG_3739B.jpg
IMG_3738B.jpg