Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethernet cable length

Discussion in 'Roland' started by mark in tx, Nov 21, 2005.

1. mark in tx

mark in tx Very Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Harker Heights, Texas
    Wondering if anyone is using an ethernet cable longer than the one supplied by Roland?
    They claim you can't use one longer, but ethernet cable standards allow for length up to 150 feet between devices.
    I know I could just plug a longer cable in and see what happens, but that is too simple.

Tags:
  2. HSG

HSG Guest

I have a 10' and an 8' cable connected to each other between my mac and my ioline plotter. It wasn't recommended either, but I have no problems with it.

3. PLECKO

PLECKO Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I have a fiddy footer connected to my SP540 with no problems at all.:biggrin:

Tom

4. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    50' is my longest CAT5. It goes to a 60" wide ink jet with no problems. Maybe I'm just lucky not to have much interference.

5. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Are you sure that they're not talking about a Centronics cable? That would be the standard printer parallel interface cable. There most definitely is a length limitation on that. Or perhaps a serial 9 or 25 pin cable? The length of these is usualy not critical but there might be some sort of special case. Ethernet cables can easily go 100+ feet with no problem. USB can do around 50' at least.

6. Blazingsun

Blazingsun Active Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Ethernet will go as far as 1000 ft with out a repeater.

7. iSign

iSign Verboten

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    how about fire wire? My 60" printer is connected via fire wire & my supplier said to get used to the 12 footer. I'd like to be able to move things around a little at some point if possible.

8. cdsgraphic

cdsgraphic Member

Aug 8, 2005
    the longest firewire I've seen (without a repeater or booster) is about 15' - 16'. But you can get data errors if it's a low quality cable.

9. iSign

iSign Verboten

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    thanks Trevor. I guess I'll get used to the proximity between 'puter & printer

10. cdsgraphic

cdsgraphic Member

Aug 8, 2005
    just double checked, and I did find a 25' cable here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812149012

and then I found this...

http://www.unibrain.com/1394_products/cables/cables.htm

so I guess you can go longer, but my guess is it's a gamble if it's going to work as well

and this...

11. iSign

iSign Verboten

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    thanks for looking into that. This is the first time I've ever used a firewire cable for anything & I know nothing about them.

I do know that I don't like any limitations I don't need to be bound by & I like to know all my options up front so if I start brainstorming some renovations or equipment relocations, that I can plan around real limitations, but not around false limitations.

12. mark in tx

mark in tx Very Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Harker Heights, Texas
    Thanks for the answers, I was pretty sure a longer ethernet cable is not a problem.