• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ethernet connections

BoF

Hi

Please can someone advise me on the best way to connect two ethernet printers (Roland & Mutoh) to a computer with one ethernet port?

I've tried using a normal router with no success - do I neeed to add some 'routing' software?
Can I add an additional board to a spare PCi slot and run one printer off the main board port & one off PCI board?

The RIP I'm usig is Oxyx 10.2

Thanks in advance

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
Sorry I could not help as this should be no problem for Onyx to connect many printer using normal router or hub ... unless your Onyx license is only good to run one printer.
Hope this help
KT.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You should be able to set up both printers with a router as long as the settings are correct.

Here is an example of how it should look:

Computer IP Address: 192.168.1.10
Computer connected to router with standard cat 5 Ethernet cable only (not cross-over)
Router IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Two standard cat 5 Ethernet cables (not cross-over) connected from router to printers
Roland Printer IP Address: 192.168.1.11
Mutoh Printer IP Address: 192.168.1.12

Notice how the first 3 sets of numbers are the same but each machine has it's own unique last number. Now just tell onyx the IP address for each printer set up and it should work. You may have to restart everything to have it work.

I am assuming that you may have a cross-over cable in the mix that is throwing you off.

SignBurst PCs

Running them through a switch or router should be OK without a lot of configuring.

You can absolutely add in two single Ethernet adapters or a dual Ethernet adapter via PCI or PCIe.

If you add in the additional ports, you will have to configure each adapter to be on different subnets, but it is definitely possible.

phototec

You should be able to set up both printers with a router as long as the settings are correct.

Here is an example of how it should look:

Computer IP Address: 192.168.1.10
Computer connected to router with standard cat 5 Ethernet cable only (not cross-over)
Router IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Two standard cat 5 Ethernet cables (not cross-over) connected from router to printers
Roland Printer IP Address: 192.168.1.11
Mutoh Printer IP Address: 192.168.1.12

Notice how the first 3 sets of numbers are the same but each machine has it's own unique last number. Now just tell onyx the IP address for each printer set up and it should work. You may have to restart everything to have it work.

I am assuming that you may have a cross-over cable in the mix that is throwing you off.

Is not using a CROSSOVER cable specific to this dual printer set-up?

Because, I only have one Roland printer connected to my PC by Ethernet, and I was thinking I am using a CROSSOVER cable between my printer and PC???????????

SignBurst PCs

Is not using a CROSSOVER cable specific to this dual printer set-up?

Because, I only have one Roland printer connected to my PC by Ethernet, and I was thinking I am using a CROSSOVER cable between my printer and PC???????????

You may be using a crossover to directly link a computer to a device. You certainly shouldn't need one if the computer and device are separated by a switch or router.

Even without a switch or router, you probably don't need a crossover cable anymore. Most modern adapters will automatically detect and "crossover" if you need it.

Last edited:

phototec

You may be using a crossover to directly link a computer to a device. You certainly shouldn't need one if the computer and device are separated by a switch or router.

Even without a switch or router, you probably don't need a crossover cable anymore. Most modem adapters will automatically detect and "crossover" if you need it.

Thanks Casey, you the man.......

Last edited by a moderator:

BoF

Thank you

I had been trying to do this using the wired ports on a wireless router & couldnt get it to work.

I suspect that I was using the wrong tool for the job, so will invest in a proper hub/switch.

Thanks!