• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Evaluating our businesses and taking action to help it

Mike Jackson

When things started slowing down last fall, I wrote an article in SignCraft with ideas on re-jump starting our businesses. When times were really good, we probably had all the business we could handle and some of us became lazy. Customers came to our doors and jumped through our hoops to get to do business with us. As the budgets tightened and less customers are knocking at the doors and less phone calls coming in, I suggested it might be time to look at what we do and how we are doing it.

So, I wrote the article full of suggestions.

Sometimes I read other people's ariticles and wonder how many of their article suggestions they really do themselves? Sometimes the suggestions are easier to write than they are to actually implement. I am sure I am guilty of some of that, but I also do heed many of my own suggestions.

During the slow times of December and part of January, I spent a lot of time watching tutorials at Lynda.com (that was an article from a long time ago). Most of those were related to either Photoshop or Dreamweaver with emphasis on working on a better web site or web sites. I know I need to learn CSS in web design, so that's something I have to pursue. I had created several nice looking photo web sites, but I knew I needed to add some easier cart or buy now features. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get a handle on it. That effort helped me add the Paypal carts to the Golden Era Studios products.

I wrote an article in SC about trying to determine how long to stay with hardware and software that is working, but lagging behind the state of the art, then articles about actually upgrading and spending money at times when it is hard to do. I love this new computer!

Some of that first article mentioned trying to re-evaluate what it is we sell and how we sell it. I've been advertising my CDs in a single column in SC for quite a few years. That group of readers has seen the ads over and over. I ran them in other magazines off and on, but the expense is overwhelming for such a small operation. Advertising on this site is cheap by comparison. Hmmmmmmm. Did I wait too long to become a merchant?

Locally, the real estate market has always been a strong sector here in Jackson Hole. Traditionally, we always did a lot of work for them. During the last year, real estate market has taken a nose dive. Realtors are more cautious about spending money as buyers are taking longer to buy property and are looking for the bargains. We will continue to do business with the ones that need us, but the smart thing to do now is look around for the businesses that ARE doing well. I spoke with a lawyer last night when I was picking up my kid. He said business we really good in the slow economy. Hmmmmmm. I need to brainstorm how to access that market now. I hear thrift stores are having banner years recently.

When we first moved to Jackson Hole in 1986, we got pretty active in the Chamber's Howdy Pardner group and I joined the Rotary Club. We were out in the public all the time and meeting the lawyers, bankers, developers, and merchants face to face. Over the years, we've dropped some of that one-on-one contact with our customers, opting to do everything with emails and attachments. I am thinking it might be time to go back to what helped us get started in the early days.

Lastly, in an effort to sell our CD collections during tougher times, I added the option to buy them at a fairly substantial discount in bundles of three or four. While it might be a case of shameless self promotion in this post, it is also an example of me taking a look at what we sell, who we are selling it to, and how we are selling it.

I better get back to work.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
www.goldenstudios.com
www.mikejacksonphotography.com

SignManiac

Mike as usual great observations. I did exactly what you're suggesting last summer. I had been wanting to upgrade my website and things barely slowed down, so I took that time to get it done. I'm glad I did and I took advantage of another slow period and finished off my list of shop improvements. I upgraded my CNC software and that required some learning time. The new printer has allowed us to expand on the banner market too.

I like to always lead instead of follow. That way, there's nothing to run into.

Bigdawg

Just Me
We have been very busy through our "slow" season... and I attribute DIRECTLY to the networking my boss has done over the last couple years. We were a new company - with nothing to build on except the fact we were going to do the best damn job we could to make our customers look their best. And a determination to not fight for jobs on price just because we were slow.

It seems those that have the money to spend - but were uncertain as to whether they should spend it or not - are starting to let loose. I've had two projects in the last couple weeks I thought were dead... suddenly come back to life as an active job with a deposit. Sweet :smile:

Guess what I am saying is Mike has a very good point. We didn't have that established-business to build on so we were networking fools that didn't get a chance to get lazy... and we still are. Yet we watched virtually every other sign company in our area slow way down. Maybe they forgot how important keeping your name and abilities in front of potential customers' eye constantly can be when times are uncertain.

astro8

Everybody should be trying to promote their business through the web.

I keep rambling on here about web sites and the appalling SEO of the average sign website.

I learnt how to build a small site and kept working away and working away on it until we now have the #2 Alexa Ranked sign site in Australia and business just POURS in when other sign shops all around me (a dozen) are quiet.

I built it on content, hard thinking and best practice, whereas I could of stuffed it with crap to get easy traffic and now when Google Caffeine is fully implemented I will shoot up even more in the serps get even more business and my competitors will take a dive.

What does this mean to us sign shops? Freedom to pick and choose, charge fair prices and sack tightarse customers you neither need nor want.

Get to it people...if you can't do it yourself get Dan A. or Joe D. to help you along.

It'll be the best investment in time and money you make for your business.

mark in tx

One thing I might add, is that even when times are good, you should never stop evaluating what and how you do things.
And if you get the chance, talk to anyone who lived through the Great Depression, not many of them left, but they have valuable info on how they made it, or didn't make it.

Mike Jackson

I wrote this on the HandLetteringForum and I should write it here, too. Bob Sauls wrote a WONDERFUL article in the last issue of Signcraft about doing the quick little sketches right in front of customers while visiting them on location. Not only are his sketches inspirational, but his text has lots of great advice. If he actually goes to a clients site, visits with them, does the quick sketches in front of them and develops a relationship with them, I'd bet he is almost assured of getting the job over the person only willing to work with a client by email and faxes. We live in a small town so it is easy to visualize a clients storefront when they call, but it is so important to design a sign project that fits the architecture of the building and with colors that work well on it.

That's how we built our business here in Jackson Hole originally, too. It is too easy to get complacent or even stuck in the rut of the easy sales and lose market share a little at a time.

Best regards,
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
www.goldenstudios.com