• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ever see a Roland FJ 50 Print head smoke?

mrfern

I have purchased a used Roland FJ 50 on the cheap. The preliminary test of the display showed it to be functional. On the cold morning I went to actually pick it up I ran the test of the printer knowing the print heads, dampers, capping station and pump would need to be replaced so I could not run a test print but I could at least see a sudo working printer. I witnessed the left print head smoke a bit then the printer would not work any longer.. It was a very cold morning and the person who sold it said ohhhhhhh ahhhhhhh yeh these things do no not work good in the cold.. So I did what any normal person would so.. RUN... no.. not really, I worked him down on the price and walked away with a 50/50 chance that I could fix it... I am very technical so WTF I am giving it a try.

The question I have is has anyone ever seen a FJ 50 print head go bad and smoke?

I have done some testing of the other parts and all seem to check out ok with a scope. Did tons of research on the printer before my purchase and feel like I am a Roland tech for this FJ 50. (Not really I just think I am) The Main board, controller board and all other parts seem ok but the question I really want to know before sending the paypal payment for 2 new print heads is has anyone else seen one smoke.

Will it work or not.. Who knows I am a betting man... That is why Vegas loves me because I keep coming back and depositing there.. I wish I could get them to send me a statement.. dohhhh better they dont my wife will not like that.. LOL

If anyone had a print head for a FJ 50 that is not print worthy but electronically sound I would be willing to send some coin for it so I can test again with no smoke. LOL California had banned POT so the smoke I am trying to get a handle on is actually legal.. LOL

Thanks and have a great day. :notworthy:

artbot

yeah... had one smoke on my fj 50 about a year ago. completely dead printer. do not buy this printer unless you are ready to replace at least the head and main board and probably the slider board. the power supply should be fine. mine was. offer him $400 for the printer (that is if you can before hand locate someone that is able to repair the main board, like macmedia. but ask first). purchasing a brand new board is out of the question. and from what i know of that printer, you can't just switch boards. it will have to be professionally installed with all kinds of "printer tech only" perimeters.

mrfern

thanks for the update.. more smoke...

...you can't just switch boards. it will have to be professionally installed with all kinds of "printer tech only" perimeters.

Thanks for the info. I have a spare mother board for the FJ50 I came across. I have no clue if it is good or a bad one but I have it. I found out there are some specific settings that need to be made to swap the board so I am going to see if I can track those down assuming I can get the printer to let me do something other then say warming up.. With no print head connected I can not do anything.

Thank you for the post.

mrfern

izanchor

Smoking Print head needs some help! please

Thanks for the info. I have a spare mother board for the FJ50 I came across. I have no clue if it is good or a bad one but I have it. I found out there are some specific settings that need to be made to swap the board so I am going to see if I can track those down assuming I can get the printer to let me do something other then say warming up.. With no print head connected I can not do anything.

Thank you for the post.

mrfern

hi Mrfern,

I have similar scenario, cleaning my print head with flush cleaner injecting direct. Now when I did a test print LH print head starts smoking. Immediately shot off the machine and waited 4hrs to turn back on. Now wont turn on and see blinking light back of Print head and on the Carriage Board. Took Heads out and LH print head cable connection are burnt. If just replacing the head and new cable would solved the problem. or is there more than that? please need advice. thank you