• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ever taken a job that..

JoshLoring

You knew was trouble before it happened?

You profile the client, they think they know what they want.. But its not what they need. They give you examples and say they want this.. You tell them it's not right for their business.. They still want it. (this is where you should have rejected working with them) Then- you create the most magnificent piece of work..
and...
They say.. I think I want to go a different route now.. I hope you didn't spend too much time.
You say.. You mean.. More like I recommended?

We know where this ends up..

AzGene

Well that's why I stay away from end users and do mostly wholesale. I'll get one of those occasionally off the net. They tell me what they want and I tell them what they need to be ADA compliant. Most go away but some insist on doing it their way. OK, I'll take your money but don't say I didn't warn you.

2B

they are "really fun" and you tell them you want more changes that will be more $$$ they ALWAYS change their tune

What we have done is to create 2 designs
theirs = half attempted
ours = effort and thought
show them the 2 and ours always wins :)

Jillbeans

After a deposit, I try to meet the customer's wants and needs. Lots of times I have designed something of which I am very proud.
But most times I end up doing red Brush Script on a black background.
I just don't ever show these jobs to anyone.
I agree that most people think they know what they want, but really they don't.
I agree that it is our job to show them what they need.
But then they show it to their hair dresser, their colorblind mom, the guy at the bar, and their kids who love Justin Bieber.
Then they come back wanting something that is just awful, and won't do them a lick of good.
Love....Jill

omgsideburns

I had a customer order an A-Frame sign the other day.. Talked to him about the a-frame, colors, design, etc... Then when he came to pick it up he thought he had ordered a flag. I don't know if he wasn't listening, he can't remember, or if he was just a c*nt.

JoshLoring

Jill- the red on black is one thing I get the most requests for. I usually tell them no and they can let me pick the colors or go down the street. Red on black is so illegible.

Omg- that is the funniest ever!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When I first got into sign painting.... the owner of the biggest shop in town would tell everyone of his clients.....

You don't know what you want.... I know what you want. I will make the sign my way and you will take it. :noway:

He was about the best hand-painter I ever watched or knew. He was left-handed by birth, but taught himself to letter right-handed so he wouldn't drag his hand through the paint.

Had a customer about 20 some years ago come in. She and her husband were opening a B&B in Downtown Reading. Right there, I should've known something was wrong with her. Anyway, I got my deposit and made two sketches [BC.... before computers].... she didn't like any of it. Made two more and still no likey. This went on for about three weeks, with her turning down everything I suggested. Finally, I was gong to tell her that I didn't know what to do anymore, but she beat me to the punch and asked for her money back and told me I can't please her. I told her this has never happened to me before, but I will return all of her money, since I couldn't produce. She took her money and said she would get the sign made the way she originally wanted it and how SHE saw it in her head.

A few months later, I happened along that way and saw her sign...... it looked literally like a 5-year old made it on old plywood with no paint , but used a fat crayon. Just an ugly couple of pinkish letters scribbled on a used piece of plywood propped up against a post.

It was quite evident, these people didn't have the money to get it done professionally, let alone find anyone who would do such a sloppy-ugly job, so they did it themselves. It wasn't long until the sign was taken down and I think the place was converted into a store. Guess they went out of business quickly with their attitude towards business.

I think to date, that is still the only customer I never pleased..... and I think it was still, they didn't have the money so there was not going to be any pleasing her regardless. :doh:

rjssigns

We as sign people/designers always want to deliver exceptional work. Sometimes that makes us our own worst enemy.
Some people want what they want and that's it. As long as they cut the check I'll do it. (within reason) Sometimes they come back and have it done right.
Pride don't feed the pitbull.

Or worse...you are approached by a client and you know that they will be a pain in the rear (i was going to trick Fred's software by using symbols and a 'bad word' but excercised better judgement...for once) ok lets try this again...you are approached by a client that you know will be problematic...and despite your better judgement you work with them anyways...and they prove your assumptions right..great fun, great fun.

but yes been in your shoes too.

and Silly Jilly ... what do you have against Justin?

cdiesel

[rant]
Had a client today that I priced ourselves out of having to deal with.

I overheard our sales director on the phone with someone, explaining that for plain typed in lettering we charge by the line. We usually do this for el cheapo truck drivers that don't want to spend any money. This guy just wanted "Marilyn" typed in, 2" tall in block text. Piece of cake, come on in, we'll make it up, $12. By that time, my guy's been on the phone for about 10 minutes. Any way you slice this up, we're losing money already. Whatever.

Fastforward an hour, and I answer the phone. Same guy. He wants to talk to the salesperson, who is out at a meeting. I tell him, and offer to take his name/number down and have Jim call him back. He proceeds to ramble on about what he wants (wasting another four minutes of my time). I finally get off the phone and go about my business.

About an hour later (Jim's still at his meeting) the customer calls back. He's clearly irritated now, as he hasn't received a call back. I explain that Jim is still out of the office, and ask if there's something I can help him with. He again proceeds to rattle through the details of the order, this time getting very specific (silver vinyl, 3" high Marilyn, and now he's figured out what font he wants--arial black. Which at 65 point should be just about 3". He wants us to cut the vinyl and send it to him. Oh, and it's $12 a line right? He figures we can get four "Marilyn"s on a line) the whole time I'm trying to get a word in edge-wise to no avail. Finally I just jump right in and tell him that there are minimum charges and shipping charges also. He asks how much the total is going to be, and I tell him the estimated total out the door would be about $40. He then tells me in a irritated and f-you tone "nevermind then". Finally!

We wasted about 20 minutes on this numb-nuts, and I'm absolutely happy I was able to stop the bleeding at that point. I guarantee this guy would have been a royal pain in the.. err.. problematic.. all the way through the sale and after.

That's not what I wanted.

That's not how I thought it would look.

That's not the right color of silver.

It goes on.. and on.. and on..

/[rant]

JoshLoring

Dang Chris!!

I feel you! We are on a main road and get that all the time. Walk in after walk in.
You can tell who is cheap and we throw the minimum order is 50$ out.. They usually walk.

Or.. The one in a 1970 car with messed up paint that wants to make their car look cool. You tell them the wrap price and they go .. OH.. Well.. Do you think you can make some flames or something to cover these scratches?
I say, man... I COULD.. But you can get a really good deal on eBay for flames.. Ya man.. Look on eBay!

Dave Drane

You mean the guy who brings his wife in with him and her Microsoft "nephew art"?? She is such a great "graphic designer" that what she has dreamed up must be adhered to at all costs?? YES we all have them. I had one just this week.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
[rant]
Had a client today that I priced ourselves out of having to deal with.

I overheard our sales director on the phone with someone, explaining that for plain typed in lettering we charge by the line. We usually do this for el cheapo truck drivers that don't want to spend any money. This guy just wanted "Marilyn" typed in, 2" tall in block text. Piece of cake, come on in, we'll make it up, $12. By that time, my guy's been on the phone for about 10 minutes. Any way you slice this up, we're losing money already. Whatever.

Fastforward an hour, and I answer the phone. Same guy. He wants to talk to the salesperson, who is out at a meeting. I tell him, and offer to take his name/number down and have Jim call him back. He proceeds to ramble on about what he wants (wasting another four minutes of my time). I finally get off the phone and go about my business.

About an hour later (Jim's still at his meeting) the customer calls back. He's clearly irritated now, as he hasn't received a call back. I explain that Jim is still out of the office, and ask if there's something I can help him with. He again proceeds to rattle through the details of the order, this time getting very specific (silver vinyl, 3" high Marilyn, and now he's figured out what font he wants--arial black. Which at 65 point should be just about 3". He wants us to cut the vinyl and send it to him. Oh, and it's $12 a line right? He figures we can get four "Marilyn"s on a line) the whole time I'm trying to get a word in edge-wise to no avail. Finally I just jump right in and tell him that there are minimum charges and shipping charges also. He asks how much the total is going to be, and I tell him the estimated total out the door would be about $40. He then tells me in a irritated and f-you tone "nevermind then". Finally!

We wasted about 20 minutes on this numb-nuts, and I'm absolutely happy I was able to stop the bleeding at that point. I guarantee this guy would have been a royal pain in the.. err.. problematic.. all the way through the sale and after.

That's not what I wanted.

That's not how I thought it would look.

That's not the right color of silver.

It goes on.. and on.. and on..

/[rant]

I get phone calls daily like that ... I just tell them I can't do anything until visual confirmation of what they want is achieved and that in order to cut, either the person, deposit or (vehicle, substrate, helmet, albino midget, whatever is vinyl receptive) must be present. ... kills a 5 to 10 minute phone conversation within 1 minute ... all so i don't have that sort of issue you described.

Still get people on the phone and in the shop who want an accurate pricing on work when they don't know what they want, how large they want it and any other detail ... most i get is hands in the air spaced starting around 6" going to around 22" ... So I just pull out the same sort of answer "cut vinyl is $28 to $128 per foot, per color depending on complexity and time required for work" ... last month or so, said that to a dude and he honestly got mad that I couldn't tell him how much something cost without knowing any details. asked him if he wanted to have something laid out so I can give him an accurate price and it would only take 10 minutes for pricing basis ... told me he didn't have time ... then sat outside in his car for about 20 minutes.

My pills are the nudgers. You show them what looks good, and 15 minutes later they have had to nudge every element of the graphics around until they think it looks good ... 99% of the time, they have you move them around out of place and back to their original position. After about 10 to 15 minutes of just doing that ... i normally will have to tell them they are just about out of included design time and I will have to start charging for it ... you can see the look of horror in their eyes as they quickly make decisions.

Oh and I swear to all that is unholy ... I'm about to call out the next person who comes in my shop and says "woah, I can get that for (insert b.s. here) at (insert sign shop here ... or "from my friend")" I have heard everything from $5 for two 20"x20" 3 color graphics (black with reflective white and red overlay on a white truck) to "half that" or "I can buy a whole roll of vinyl for that much at my buddy's shop" to "can't you do a better price for that, I'm your best customer" or " that is too much money, I'm just a poor trucker, how about (insert insulting price here)" Normally I just shrug and say, price is the price and you have to do what you have to do followed up with "I will understand if you don't want to get graphics here if you can get them for such a low price elsewhere" .... about 4 out of 10 will walk out (2 will return within a week and get the work done) and the other six will just stay and get the work done. but dang if after years of it, my tolerance has gone to nil.

I had a customer order an A-Frame sign the other day.. Talked to him about the a-frame, colors, design, etc... Then when he came to pick it up he thought he had ordered a flag. I don't know if he wasn't listening, he can't remember, or if he was just a c*nt.

I deal with the same issue - the other day I had some guy come in and say he wanted a couple of banners, even pointed to a banner on the wall and said "like that". Took the order, paid the invoice that said (2) BANNERS, proofed him on BANNERS, approved the proof, then when he picked them up he thought he had order 2 Dibond signs. Sheesh..

ucmj22

she beat me to the punch and asked for her money back and told me I can't please her. I told her this has never happened to me before, but I will return all of her money, since I couldn't produce.

... are we still talking about signs here...

:ROFLMAO:

Jack Knight1979

Just did some work for a hospital that turned bad. I had "that feeling" from the beginning, but kept on working with them. Should have listened to my gut.