Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everyone Finally Moved Over ?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by WildWestDesigns, Jan 8, 2020.

1. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    With the much beloved (in general) Win 7 going EOL next Tuesday, everyone (those on Win based machines that is) moved over to something a little more current?

While EOL doesn't mean that it will stop working, it does make it harder to be perpetually connected to the internet (for those on SaaS programs, which is going to be most more then likely with Corel jumping on the bandwagon) without an increase worry about what's going on. Even 3rd anti-virus software will stop getting updates for Win 7 at some point.

Tags:
  2. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    We still have 3 of our production computers running Win 7...... not too excited about updating them!

Mainly our computer that runs Gerber software & equipment, but I would think by now they've figured that out and have it working.

3. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Switched over. Didn't want to, but hackers haven't gone away. Brought the computer back to the place that built it and let them deal with the install.

4. neato

neato Very Active Member

May 16, 2003
    Henderson, IL
    I just switched over to a new Windows 10 machine. I thought it was going to be a problem getting used to it, but I really like it. It's a fast and intuitive operating system.

I'll keep my Windows 7 machine offline for cutting vinyl.

5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    :rolleyes: Still running XP on one machine

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. wes70

wes70 Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Canada
    Upgraded over the holidays. Refurb computer with win10, upgraded to CorelDraw 2019 and versaworks 6.

7. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Still running Win 98 in a VM. Still my fav out of all the Windows versions. I don't have it setup on my new phone, but could even get it to work on my last phone as well via emulation. Tells "you" just how powerful those things are.

8. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    Just updated my system in December to Win 10 and I run the Gerber software and equipment off it. No hiccups yet.

9. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    Same! It's the system we use to run our embroidery machine. The software doesn't really like newer versions of Windows.

10. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    It could be the dongle that doesn't like the newer version. I had one like that. Wasn't the software itself, but the key that is the DRM that didn't like the newer version.

Then, of course, it was sometimes manually moving DLL files that didn't make it from the install disc to the OS (had that happen on 8.1). Although, at least with the software in question, it showed the error and how to correct it. Some may not do that.

11. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Got 2 comps on windows 7 no updates, I aint doing nothing higher, all programs are on disk

12. joshGN

joshGN Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Edmond,Ok
    I made the switch over the holidays....

It was easy...but...now I get a blue screen of death whenever the machine 'wakes' up from being asleep.

It seems to be a common issue and can be a variety of things.

My solution so far has been to not let the machine go into sleep mode...LOL

13. IEI Print Shop

IEI Print Shop New Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Boardman, OH 44512
    I upgraded after the first big update in November 2015 and never looked back. I find that when I keep all my technology up to date, I run into very few issues. Windows 10 is a big step forward from 7, I loved it from the get-go. I'm running RasterLink 6 with a Mimaki CJV 300-160 and have had great results. I'll never understand why there's so many holdouts in this industry...

14. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Just thought I would do this for Win 7's EOL week (see attached).

Attached Files:

15. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Hmmm, tried to get rid of the orphan closing quote tag, but it won't let me edit out that part.