• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Everyone Finally Moved Over ?

WildWestDesigns

With the much beloved (in general) Win 7 going EOL next Tuesday, everyone (those on Win based machines that is) moved over to something a little more current?

While EOL doesn't mean that it will stop working, it does make it harder to be perpetually connected to the internet (for those on SaaS programs, which is going to be most more then likely with Corel jumping on the bandwagon) without an increase worry about what's going on. Even 3rd anti-virus software will stop getting updates for Win 7 at some point.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We still have 3 of our production computers running Win 7...... not too excited about updating them!

Mainly our computer that runs Gerber software & equipment, but I would think by now they've figured that out and have it working.

rjssigns

Switched over. Didn't want to, but hackers haven't gone away. Brought the computer back to the place that built it and let them deal with the install.

neato

I just switched over to a new Windows 10 machine. I thought it was going to be a problem getting used to it, but I really like it. It's a fast and intuitive operating system.

I'll keep my Windows 7 machine offline for cutting vinyl.

wes70

Upgraded over the holidays. Refurb computer with win10, upgraded to CorelDraw 2019 and versaworks 6.

WildWestDesigns

:rolleyes: Still running XP on one machine

Still running Win 98 in a VM. Still my fav out of all the Windows versions. I don't have it setup on my new phone, but could even get it to work on my last phone as well via emulation. Tells "you" just how powerful those things are.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
We still have 3 of our production computers running Win 7...... not too excited about updating them!

Mainly our computer that runs Gerber software & equipment, but I would think by now they've figured that out and have it working.
Just updated my system in December to Win 10 and I run the Gerber software and equipment off it. No hiccups yet.

WildWestDesigns

Same! It's the system we use to run our embroidery machine. The software doesn't really like newer versions of Windows.

It could be the dongle that doesn't like the newer version. I had one like that. Wasn't the software itself, but the key that is the DRM that didn't like the newer version.

Then, of course, it was sometimes manually moving DLL files that didn't make it from the install disc to the OS (had that happen on 8.1). Although, at least with the software in question, it showed the error and how to correct it. Some may not do that.

joshGN

I made the switch over the holidays....

It was easy...but...now I get a blue screen of death whenever the machine 'wakes' up from being asleep.

It seems to be a common issue and can be a variety of things.

My solution so far has been to not let the machine go into sleep mode...LOL

IEI Print Shop

I upgraded after the first big update in November 2015 and never looked back. I find that when I keep all my technology up to date, I run into very few issues. Windows 10 is a big step forward from 7, I loved it from the get-go. I'm running RasterLink 6 with a Mimaki CJV 300-160 and have had great results. I'll never understand why there's so many holdouts in this industry...

WildWestDesigns

Just thought I would do this for Win 7's EOL week (see attached).

I upgraded after the first big update in November 2015 and never looked back.

Ironically, that was the time that I upgraded as well, but to something radically different.

I find that when I keep all my technology up to date, I run into very few issues. Windows 10 is a big step forward from 7, I loved it from the get-go.

I liked the aesthetics of it, but there are a lot of things that I didn't and Windows in general doesn't change all that much. It still has a lot of legacy code that needs to be taken out. It really needs to have an overhaul, but I don't see that happening.

Already an issue with people migrating to newer versions due to incompatibility of their very niche/specialized/highly expensive software, this is going to be more of an issue.

I'll never understand why there's so many holdouts in this industry...

Like with any industry that relies on tech for a good bit of it's workflow. It's the other hardware/software and how easy it is to transition to newer components.

With the rolling release model of Win 10, I can easily see that other components will need to be upgraded more often then not.

Attachments

• win7Look.png
    win7Look.png
    1 MB · Views: 199