• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Everyone should open a business they know nothing about:)

Athomas213

HI, I'm Angie..out of Indianapolis...I was at the right place and the right time or vice versa...wrong place wrong time..and long story short opened a graphics shop with a friend of mine. My friend has some experience but both of us combined has less than six months experience. I can say we have learned stuff the hard way. We opened the first weekend of September and have had some sort of issue each week. At one point I was ready to throw in the vinyl...but we are invested pretty deep so that isn't an option. I enjoy it I just get frustrated having to solve issues that probably a person with more experience would know how to handle immediately. So that is why I am here. To read and read and hopefully pick up some tips and tricks from the professionals:)

b6hs

Sign
Welcome

Hi Angie I wish you luck with this business :rock-n-roll:

HI, I'm Angie..out of Indianapolis...I was at the right place and the right time or vice versa...wrong place wrong time..and long story short opened a graphics shop with a friend of mine. My friend has some experience but both of us combined has less than six months experience. I can say we have learned stuff the hard way. We opened the first weekend of September and have had some sort of issue each week. At one point I was ready to throw in the vinyl...but we are invested pretty deep so that isn't an option. I enjoy it I just get frustrated having to solve issues that probably a person with more experience would know how to handle immediately. So that is why I am here. To read and read and hopefully pick up some tips and tricks from the professionals:)

VL

I like your title! I have been in this business for 18 years and am about to expand into a few new products that I have little experience in how to sell or produce. Sometimes trial by fire is a good way to experience life. Although if money was no object then a bit of help and training would be nice. One thing that I know is that persistence pays off.

Locals Find!

Well, I have to say it's refreshing to see some real honesty on here. That is a good trait that will help you go far in whatever you do. Being able to be honest with one's self is key to any business success.

Athomas213

Welcome from Maryland. ..

My one question is if you don't know anything about signs, why open a sign shop?
my business partner was looking for a way to support herself and go part time in the field she is in for 18 years and when the opportunity came up for us to open a sign shop where there was a demand and already a list of customers, it just made sense to her and she asked me to partner with her and I have always been up for a challenge.

Athomas213

Thanks

Thanks for all the "love". A lot of people don't agree with my opinion but I have always believed that you should enjoy what you do for a living since you spend most of your life working. And although I am still learning the trade and struggling with some things, I enjoy getting up and going to work. I look forward to it. How many people can say that?

visual800

Thanks for all the "love". A lot of people don't agree with my opinion but I have always believed that you should enjoy what you do for a living since you spend most of your life working. And although I am still learning the trade and struggling with some things, I enjoy getting up and going to work. I look forward to it. How many people can say that?

i agree. I know way too many people that hate thier jobs but they stay. You gotta love what you do to even all other aspects of your life out

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Welcome to the board and good luck. It's always fun jumping into things without having any previous experience. Just try to have a thick skin on here ... people are callous (sometimes for good reason).

Kottwitz-Graphics

Welcome to the board and good luck. It's always fun jumping into things without having any previous experience. Just try to have a thick skin on here ... people are callous (sometimes for good reason).

Yup...too many times people come in thinking that their sign company is charging too much...

and I'm a little confused. ..

my business partner was looking for a way to support herself and go part time in the field she is in for 18 years

HI, both of us combined has less than six months experience.

2 statements in the same same thread. ..:snarky

toucan_graphics

Welcome from North Carolina.

I too learned as I went and I'm still learning 9 years later. Until recently it was just a hobby for me. If you have a budget that allows you, I highly recommend getting some training. Almost all the major vendors offer some type of training on certain things to help sell their product... (vehicle wrap classes, install techniques etc) take full advantage.

Of course Signs101.com is a HUGE wealth of knowledge and experience - and MOST of us are pretty cool. :rock-n-roll:

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Welcome from Niagara Falls, NY!

If you plan on not making any money for a few years, you'll make it.

I've been in business since Sept. 16, 1996, took three years before I could take a regular pay check that actually paid the bills.

Hope you have low monthly bills or a supportive spouse.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I did the same thing seven years ago. The first three or four years were rough sledding.

If you don't have one already, make sure you get busy on a business plan. If anything, it will give you some guidance as you navigate uncharted waters. You might need to hire an experienced consultant to help answer some of your unknowns early on in your startup. That may very well be money well spent.

JB

MrSalumi

Welcome from Oregon!

This learning curve is one of the steepest I have ever encountered. Good Luck! Try hard! Ask Questions. And don't mind the people that will inevitably get grumpy on this board. Keep at it!

limacchina

Beginning is always the hardest part. Just be patience and learn as hard as you can , you will do good in what you like to do.

GWSigns

Welcome! My name is Susan.

I relate very well with your idea on loving what you do.

I did love what I did in ecommerce for 11 years, until I could not tolerate the transition the department had taken any longer.

I jumped at the chance to change departments and found myself in the sign shop, knowing absolutely nothing, but loving the idea of learning and thouroughly enjoying the people I work with.

I take it one day at a time and one job at a time, gathering what I can from each!