• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exceedingly dumb question, re: temp files

threeputt

Ok, can anyone say for sure, if it's absolutely safe to dump any file with the extension .tmp? Doing some housecleaning and can't be sure.

I know, I know, it's probably a dumb question, but I'm a rookie on some things.

Techman

dump them all.
not needed..
usually they are constructed when you install software, but tmp files are not needed.

threeputt

Thanks techman, I was a little concerned. Some of them date back a couple of years, and are entitled like Set1A.tmp or Set8.tmp and I have no idea what that is.

I try and dump .tmp files regularly if I know what they are. (a downloaded movie, internet stuff or whatever)

mediaman

I have ccleaner on one computer - the IT guys at work warn against it deleting needed files such as software authorization codes, license info, etc. Can anyone tell me if this could present a problem or is ccleaner safe (or necessary)? Is there a better way to clean the temp folder other than manually?

Shovelhead

I run CCleaner

I have ccleaner on one computer - the IT guys at work warn against it deleting needed files such as software authorization codes, license info, etc. Can anyone tell me if this could present a problem or is ccleaner safe (or necessary)? Is there a better way to clean the temp folder other than manually?

and my computer runs smooooooooooothhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
not sure the name of the program, but we ran a cleaner program on one of our older PCs.....ended up having to uninstall and reinstall norton cause it deleted much needed files for norton to run...

side note: we've removed norton from all our systems due to having network problems with their software....it's kinda sad when you have to download off of norton's website in order to uninstall their software.....