• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

exchange my window tint knowledge for your sign busines knowledge

watchdaride

Been window tinting for 25yrs and can teach you how to tint a car under an hour and have material cost at $15 per car or sub out labour for 25% . Easy to get people to pay cash . Up North you can get $250 for a car and as you go south its less . I want to hook up with some one in the SE USA (i am in Orlando ) that teach me the basics of the sign print business and in exchange i will teach the secrets and short cuts of the tint business . If interested email me at hopk4457@cfl.rr.com . there a new technique with a torch and using your plotter to precut with reduce installation by 50%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RIKAFPCvU

Last edited by a moderator:

watchdaride

Now that's a bad trade off.

Why is that a bad trade ? You give me 12 hrs training and i give you 12 training . No money exchanged we live in different markets . Its a slow time of year . As far as i hear most sign shops all get paid by check or CC . A $1G extra a week in cash for just using a bay in your garage seems like a no brainer .

Pat Whatley

(FROM WATCHING THE VIDEO)

Completely off topic and I may not know what I'm seeing but when did they start putting window tint on the outside of the window? I've probably lettered 100 rear windows and I've NEVER run across one that had the tint on the outside.

fmg

(FROM WATCHING THE VIDEO)

Completely off topic and I may not know what I'm seeing but when did they start putting window tint on the outside of the window? I've probably lettered 100 rear windows and I've NEVER run across one that had the tint on the outside.

I suspect that they are applying it to the exterior of the window to show how a torch is quicker than using a heat gun. For demo purposes only!
I may be wrong though..One never knows!

dwt

Too many variables. I apprenticed for 5 months to learn proper tinting techniques and spend another year perfecting my craft(16years ago). No way will you get reliable installers to work for 25% unless you become a full time babysitter.

If you really want to learn about the sign biz go to your local vocational tech school and take the Adobe classes. Buy a student copy from the school then research available materials and how to use and install them properly.

The hardest part will be deciding where your limitations are and what jobs to turn away vs which jobs you can complete with a reasonable profit.

@Pat, the film is being shrunk to fit the curvature of the glass. Next it will be trimmed to shape and installed in the interior after prepping for cleanliness.

bjones

Lol, his offer for training on a trade isn't so dumb now is it :) Modern tinters form the tint to the window by putting it on the outside of the glass and heat gunning it to shrink it where they want it to.

fmg

Lol, his offer for training on a trade isn't so dumb now is it :) Modern tinters form the tint to the window by putting it on the outside of the glass and heat gunning it to shrink it where they want it to.
Your comments are exactly what I thought.
Why are people so ready and quick to put down other peoples trades, especially here on this forum.
Kudos to the window tinters! And at least he/she are showing a demo of their work unlike the comments made by the poster that doubted them.

watchdaride

hers an example . You go out to letter a store front and its a pawn shop . I can teach you how to sell 7 mil safety film to protect there glass from breakins / glass breakage . It sells installed for $7sqft. Your cost $1.20 sq ft sub out labour install at $1.25 sqft . You make $4.50 sq ft and most retail store you can get 100sq ft easy .

CheapVehicleWrap

So you're forming on the outside to install on the inside? And you're using MAPP gas? I was waiting for that window to shatter. +-5301° F vs. +-3623° F. I love the wrap videos with MAPP gas :) People probably don't know the difference until they try lighting a cigarette off one.

"Deposit Please"

The balance isn't there. There's soooo much more that goes into signage than putting film on a window with soapy water & a cheap rubber squegee dude.

GypsyGraphics

i think i could teach someone to send a file to the cutter, mask, weed and demonstrated a dry vs wet install,
in one days time
IF
and that's a very big if...

all we were doing was cutting radius cornered rectangles all day and never had to deal with actual files.

dwt

@ Deposit^^If only it were that easy. There are as many variables to proper glass tinting as there are in sign making. Any trade can be marginalized and devalued on the surface. ("like slappin' a sticker on a sheet of wood, heck my little girl could do that") sound familiar?

Last edited:

"Deposit Please"

Yes, there are some variables to auto tint, but there are alot more on signage, & no, were not just talking cut vinyl silly, where talking signage, and most of us are doing digital & beyond, aren't you dwt??? ( Printer maintenance/operation, Lamination, learning sofware, Monitor calibration, color correction, icc profiles, media, design, installation etc...etc..etc) I can keep going. In all fairness, I know that isn't an even trade of knowledge, because i do both. :)

AUTO-FX

I had a go at window tinting years ago. Got some pointers from a friend in the business. Did it off and on for about a year, made some decent money, but decided I hated doing it . Window tinting is a real pain in the a** and takes talent and a very particular type of patience. That being said, so does sign making, however they arent even in the same talent hemisphere. So why do you think you want to be a signmaker?

Locals Find!

Your offer of trade sounds fair to me, and in the right spirit.

I have noticed that people on these boards like to insult everyone. They believe that no one should do what they do or could possibly have the talent.

If that was truly the case we won't have sign shops after they die if you believe there negativity.

Having another tool in the arsenal such as window tinting. Would probably be a good thing for the right person.

I can't see how anyone would hurt there business by being able to tint windows and apply graphics to a car or even a storefront all on the same ticket.

I personally sell a lot of window perf around here to businesses that want to tint there glass from sunlight streaming in and turn it into a usable marketing piece. Now all the glass generally is not going to be done with perf. So Why would someone not want to be able to offer tint on the rest and keep the entire job in house. Not like your having to make an extra trip out.

Flame

I think it's a very fair offer. I can wrap a car, but my window tint is far from professional looking. Best of luck finding someone to work with.

trimguy

The dexterity, and special patience involved with tinting makes working with vinyl a natural fit. Being able to package both products keeps a vehicle in your shop longer, and the customer doesn't have to go to different vendors and spend his valuable time running around. Ive been laying tint and vinyl since the early 80's and I love having a variety of media to work with. I even suggest getting the SEMA/ASE adhesive products certification to promote yourself over your competition. Also, check out our Restyling group, "Restylers International"

Thats "my two cents", even if its a "penny for your thoughts"