• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

exchange my window tint knowledge for your sign busines knowledge

trimguy

The dexterity, and special patience involved with tinting makes working with vinyl a natural fit. Being able to package both products keeps a vehicle in your shop longer, and the customer doesn't have to go to different vendors and spend his valuable time running around. Ive been laying tint and vinyl since the early 80's and I love having a variety of media to work with. I even suggest getting the SEMA/ASE adhesive products certification to promote yourself over your competition. Also, check out our Restyling group, "Restylers International"

Thats "my two cents", even if its a "penny for your thoughts"

iSign

First of all, many people seem to miss the basic premise of trading...
if two people want to trade a for b... the value of a and b never need be translated to a dollar amount.. and as with many things, the "value" goes up or down dramatically based on who what when where & why... not to mention the rest of the alphabet...

...so as the op says 12 hours for 12 hours sounds fair if each has an interest in what the other has to offer... I didn't see any requirement that one must invest whatever time necessary to impart every detail to encompass an entire industry...

Yes, there are some variables to auto tint, but there are alot more on signage, & no, were not just talking cut vinyl silly, where talking signage...

OK let's talk about some of those variables for signage... when you want to say "we're not just talking cut vinyl"... I find it interesting that you can spell the same word two different ways in one sentence & be wrong both times :Big Laugh

There may be "variables" in this industry, but spelling usually isn't one of them...

AUTO-FX

...so as the op says 12 hours for 12 hours sounds fair if each has an interest in what the other has to offer... I didn't see any requirement that one must invest whatever time necessary to impart every detail to encompass an entire industry...

this is absolutely a fair deal. if you are near this guy it might even make sense to send your employee over to learn tinting. there's extra money on the table there especially with flat glass. if you can tint a car window flat glass is gravy.

so, watchdaride, what makes you want to be a signmaker... really???

-chris

watchdaride

this is absolutely a fair deal. if you are near this guy it might even make sense to send your employee over to learn tinting. there's extra money on the table there especially with flat glass. if you can tint a car window flat glass is gravy.

so, watchdaride, what makes you want to be a signmaker... really???

-chris

Hey i will never be a real signmaker. That i am sure takes years and i know many of you are at the top of your game here .Over the years i have done many jobs especially retail store fronts were people ask me about doing graphics on there store front windows . I see work vans come in the shop with pathetic lettering that i know i could them something more modern or maybe the perf jobs on car back windows . Now there are a few wholesaler printers that i can get a good price at digital prints and have a great designer i hooked up with . So just looking for info on selling the product , marketing and installation .

I see so many new tint shops open and close doing the wrong marketing things or wrong products or technique . I could take a $2k course on installation of graphics but as a shop owner i know shop experience and current knowledge of the market is 1000% better than some guy giving an overpriced seminar on the weekend .

i have a couple awesome tint installers that is covering the tint installs and i have an opportunity to expand my business and digital graphics seem a natural service to add on to window tint services.

CheapVehicleWrap

I can get my windows tinted in NJ at any 7-eleven for $99 which I would gladly pay so I don't have to deal with it. That is if I didn't perf them. Stuff installed on the inside doesn't gold up to scratches like high heels etc. though.

Flame

I can get my windows tinted in NJ at any 7-eleven for $99 which I would gladly pay so I don't have to deal with it. That is if I didn't perf them. Stuff installed on the inside doesn't gold up to scratches like high heels etc. though.

Are you drunk???

Charlie J

My shop currently offers automotive window tinting as well as signage. I started my shop a few years ago with my focus being on on business signage. Last summer, my friend's brother, who is an experienced window tinter (3-4 years experience) needed a job. I hired him and I started a campaign to go after the window tinting business in my area. At first, the window tinting business was slow. We joined a local automotive forum and became a window tint vendor, I invested on radio advertising, created a brochure and other printed materials, and we picked up a few car dealerships.

The point I'm trying to make is:

1. Yes you can make money doing window tint. There are months where window tinting brings in more money than signs (tax time, hot summer months). Like any business opportunity, you have to have a plan and execute.

2. You must have an experienced tinter. You are not going to be a good window tinter in 12 hours. The same way that you're not going to be a good sign-maker in 12hrs. It is a skilled trade that takes years of experience.

3. We looked into setups like tint-tek and xpel where you can cut out window tint with your plotter. In my opinion, an experienced window tinter can do a better job. Every car window is different and many of the templates we cut out with our plotter were mediocre at best.

4. Only if you are used to having an employee(s) in your shop, would I recommend getting into window tint. If your tinter is unreliable or quits, you will have several thousand dollars invested in materials with no-one to install it for you. It is not something I would recommend doing on your own in addition to sign-making. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do both.

So, yes you can make money doing window tint depending on your area. But like anything else, it is an investment. You shouldn't just jump into something with no experience thinking your going to make killer money.

chopper

I really do not see anything wrong with his offer,
there is no need to berate him,
or belittle his trade, good luck in finding some one to trade with I do see the value of doing both,
//chopper

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think it's an honest offer, but not a good one.

There's nothing of value that anyone could teach another in 12 hours in either area. If I wanted to do that sort of tinting to windows, I'd hire someone as already mentioned, not take some crash course. That's why there are businesses around doing this stuff to begin with..... they know how.

I know a guy that has been doing both for about 25 years. He's excellant at tinting and pretty good at signs, but he can't find work to save his life. He's had his own business and worked for other shops all these years. He's still looking for a steady income. He even worked for me for about 5 or 6 months. I had to get rid of him. He dragged everything out to the point I couldn't afford him. The few times I've had people ask me to tint, I sent them to this guy and he never got a job from any of them. Go figure. Too good for his own good I guess ??

dwt

Go figure. Too good for his own good I guess ??
Happens all the time. Take a young guy and teach him how to make $200-$1000 a day and his head swells...until next week when he's blown it all and begins looking for work again. Classic example.