• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Expanding a weighted outline to cut

wildhock

Hello All,

In Illy CS2 if I create say a star and create a second color outline with the stroke weight around it, what do I do to make the outside stroke weight its own path in order to cut it out?? Hope this make sense.

Thanks, Jon

sinetist

Another way to do this is to select the shape and go to Objects - Paths - Offset Path - then enter the amount of offset you want (plus or minus). You will get a new shape with the entered offset.
If you convert the strokes to outlines you get two paths for the stroke you converted (the inside and the outside of the stroke).

Rooster

Another way to do this is to select the shape and go to Objects - Paths - Offset Path - then enter the amount of offset you want (plus or minus). You will get a new shape with the entered offset.
If you convert the strokes to outlines you get two paths for the stroke you converted (the inside and the outside of the stroke).

If there's a fill you get three paths. Another one centered under the stroke for the fill.

Malkin

Sometimes the path you are working on is not closed, but the endpoints are stacked on each other so it looks a closed path. When you use "offest path" it makes a paths around the outside, cuts through the shape at the open ends, then continues around the inside in ones continuous path.

I find that I have to use the "outline stroke" instead to beat this, or manually join the open end points.

Mosh

Just remember the plotter is only going to cut the wireframe, not any effects added to the design like line weights. Always look at a design in the wireframe to make sure it is not going to need welded, common mistake I see in cut vinyl.

John Butto

a true welder

Just remember the plotter is only going to cut the wireframe, not any effects added to the design like line weights. Always look at a design in the wireframe to make sure it is not going to need welded, common mistake I see in cut vinyl.
Could not find wireframe on my adobe illustrator tools.