• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Experience with aluminum composites?

signs20

There have been several new products introduced in the last several years that have thin sheets of painted aluminum bonded together with polyethylene. Grimco calls it MaxMetal and Tubelite calls it their Elite Aluminum Composite. Has anyone had any long-term experience with this stuff - good or bad? Any problems with de-laminating or paint problems or other problems? This stuff could be a good replacement for plywood if it is durable.

Thanks.

Gene@mpls

I buy 50 sheets at a time (grimco sale) and have used it for years- no problems
yet. We will only use mdo if forced and then I tell them it will last for 2 years.

Noffke Co.

What are a few ways to cut material like MaxMetal, Polymetal and Alupanels alike? I have a SawTrax system which works really well but have not found the proper saw blades that last.

CanuckSigns

What are a few ways to cut material like MaxMetal, Polymetal and Alupanels alike? I have a SawTrax system which works really well but have not found the proper saw blades that last.

We cut ours on a table saw with a non-ferrous metal blade, run a quick de-burring tool along the edge and you're good to go

tattoo.dan

I use a utility knife as well. Was using a circular saw, but with a utility knife, like Chicago said, super clean edge...

heyskull

I have been using this material for years in the UK.
Only problem is after a couple of years sometimes you can get what looks like corrosion around the edges as if water is getting between the laminated parts.

SC

Gene@mpls

Safety Speed Cut has the correct blade- very clean cuts. Look for TCGS
(Carbide Tipped Triple Chip Grind Saw Blades)

neil_se

We use 50-60 sheets per month and have been using it for years. We used to cut with Stanley knife but now use a basic treadle/manual guillotine for cuts under 4' or CNC router for longer cuts.

BBworks

Alupanel

Its all that I buy anymore.....no more .040 or MDO for large sign around here......

Im with you on this one, NO MORE WOOD! No more sealing or painting edges. We use Alupanel and Ecopanel all the time. Our customers love it. Installing is a breeze, cutting and drilling is so easy for anyone.

MIMO

+1 on the dibond etc but anyone using the 6mm or 10mm product out there with the corrugated polyeth core? Here they call it Alumalite. I like it when sliding panels into aluminum extrusion frames...fits snug without the need to shim the 3mm solid core product.