• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Expired JV3 Inks???

jdigital

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to bypass an expired ink cartridge on a JV3? Some are only a few days old. We are in a crunch to finish a job and no one ordered any more ink. Is there a chip resetter?

GTSTech_1

Only way to bypass the system would be 1. Bring down your Firmware to version 3 or lower. 2. Install a bulk system with either a chip resetter or have dummy carts with reset chips. I can offer Triangle Bulk system, or we also sell replaceable chips. The replaceable chips would be easiest solution, remove the expired chip and attach new chip (new chip is good for 500cc (aka 1/2 liter). PM or email me for pricing, and/or more info.

Joey Alonso
GTSTech_1

jdigital

Thanks GTS. I have someone picking up a few cartridges from our local supplier. I should get them today. I was just curious on if the cartridges could be reset. I wouldn't want to tear apart my machine but if I need to, I now know what to do. thanks again

ColesCreations

To use expired cartridges, you do NOT need to downgrade your firmware, or buy new chips or anything like that.

Just remove the little battery on the main board, and put it back in.

Date will now say 2005 or something, so all cartridges will be "new". It's a 30 minute job, it's free, and well worth the hassle, as new chips is something you only need if you use aftermarket ink.

In the software, you can change the date forwards, not backwards, if you screw up and change year, printer will stop working (ours did).

Procedure:
1. Unplug printer from all electrical, and unplug firewire.
2. In the back, on the right, remove roll holder and cover.
3. Remowe firewire board.
4. Locate battery, remove it, put it back in.
5. Put everything back together.
6. Screws left over proves you did a better job than the factory:)
7. Good to go.

Only difference will be a few personal settings like margins and such that will be back to factory default.

I would not worry about the ink being a couple of years old, as long as it has not been opened for more than a few months. We have bought several sets of expired ink from our local supplier at half price... Brand new, sealed, never opened.

ColesCreations

Yes, you can change the date, but only the WRONG way:banghead:

I was very frustrated when I was being a bit too smart and changed the year, and the printer would not do as much as routine cleanings.

Resettable chips are a waste of money as long as you are running original ink, as you then lose the near end warnings too.

ColesCreations

Something like that:) 30-60...

Don't remember anymore, my printer has now gotten into 2006, don't figure I'll ever put in older inks than that!!

Just remove/replace that battery and never worry 'bout it anymore!

ChicagoGraphics

Inks for a JV3 sp are good 30 days after they expire, but there are ways to get them to work 120 days without messing with the firmware. Call who ever you bought them from and talk to there tech.

ColesCreations

To Eventsource- Happy to help.

The procedure I described was not one I can take the credit for, as others passed it to me.

It does not in any way alter anything in the printer, it gets reset back to how it came from the factory, minus the date, which now says 01012005 (thereabouts).

I recommend it highly, as no need to worry about dates on the cartridges, no messing with firmware, and chips still show "near end" etc.

And- got expired cartridges from my supplier for less than half price last month...:toasting:

exit14

It is 30 days past expire date. I have a couple yellow cartridges that expired 12-28-08 and yesterday 1-29-09, they no longer worked. Machine down...
resetting the battery today.

Stick It On

JV33 Clock Reset

Both of my black cartridges had came up as empty all of a sudden (one was totally full) the console did not indicate it but I finally figured out the cartridge expiration was the problem.

I performed battery the reset on my JV33 which is even simpler then the JV3 instructions above, after removing the cover the battery is there waiting to be popped out. On the first boot of the machine cartridges were successfully detected again but I was met with a battery replaced alarm which was quite unsettling. After restarting again the printer functioned as usual!

I don't do a large amount of printing so this was a great help for me not to have to throw away unused ink! Thanks for posting this info.

ColesCreations

Hi, Stick It On- Are you saying that this procedure also works on the JV33???

Some guys have stated it does not, nice to know if it's a good procedure for the JV33 also!

Thanks!

COREYAARON

I have alot of ss21 cartridges, some are still good, others not. I'm selling all of it @ very discounted prices. Still in factory plastic wrap, i can sell expired ones with disposable chips. Let me know, i am an authorized Mimaki dealer.

ColesCreations

See what I mean? Even an authorized Mimaki dealer has no problems selling expired ink. This goes to prove that the only reason for the VERY conservative date marking on the cartridges; is to sell more ink.

Lots of posters have been concerned about expired inks clogging heads. Do anyone have firsthand knowledge of this happening with ORIGINAL inks?

I would also be careful with installing cartridges that have been left open for a long time, but have never had any problems with sealed cartridges, even ones more than 2 years out of date. (Shake before installing just to make sure, I also do this with current ones)