• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Expired latex ink

jhanson

We recently had some issues where our print operators weren't rotating the stock of LX610 series ink properly. As a result, we've got a few boxes of inks that expired within the last month or two and can't be used.

Any ideas on what we can do with it besides toss it? I suggested seeing if we could paint our parking lot with it on a hot day, but that didn't go over very well.

Amusingly enough someone was trying to sell an expired LX600 box on Ebay for $100. It didn't sell.

Matt-Tastic

i'd get with HP. they won't replace it, but they may be able to let you know if there is a workaround for using the inks. I haven't seen anyone get expired inks as of yet. It's probably a royal pain to even try to use.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Does the machine not let you use it? I would think if its recently expired it should work just fine.

jhanson

Does the machine not let you use it? I would think if its recently expired it should work just fine.

+1 for HP Smart Chip Technology :frustrated:

And we can't just swap the chips for ones from recently used cartridges, since as far as I know there's no resetter for these chips.

The other fun thing is that HP will void the print head warranty if expired inks are used. From what I know about latex/resin ink technology (having previously worked at a distributor), the ink is not particularly stable and so the expiration date has to be taken more seriously than for water-based dye, or most solvent inks. Otherwise, serious head issues can result...

jhanson

In fairness to the operators, we had some flaws in our procedures that didn't become apparent until this point. You see, the policy defined had been to tag the ink on the day it came in, and rotate stock based on the date it was received.

The immediate flaw with that system is that the suppliers may not always rotate their stock to us. So we have the operators using ink based on when we received it, not when it actually expires. Until the printer started rejecting new boxes of ink (which had been sitting on OUR shelves for over six months), nobody really thought to second guess the system since it "seemed" to be working.

The other thing was that we were ordering way too much of the light colors, which the printer uses about 1 box per every 3 of the primaries.

So yes, if it was clearly defined that the operators weren't doing their job, then I would agree with docking them. Since they were just following their (poorly thought out) instructions, I can't really fault them for anything other than not taking initiative.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
In fairness to the operators, we had some flaws in our procedures that didn't become apparent until this point. You see, the policy defined had been to tag the ink on the day it came in, and rotate stock based on the date it was received.

The immediate flaw with that system is that the suppliers may not always rotate their stock to us. So we have the operators using ink based on when we received it, not when it actually expires. Until the printer started rejecting new boxes of ink (which had been sitting on OUR shelves for over six months), nobody really thought to second guess the system since it "seemed" to be working.

The other thing was that we were ordering way too much of the light colors, which the printer uses about 1 box per every 3 of the primaries.

So yes, if it was clearly defined that the operators weren't doing their job, then I would agree with docking them. Since they were just following their (poorly thought out) instructions, I can't really fault them for anything other than not taking initiative.

Maybe let your supplier know you can only recieve in ink that has exp dates into next year. I dont know if they will do that but its worth requesting it.

jhanson

Maybe let your supplier know you can only recieve in ink that has exp dates into next year. I dont know if they will do that but its worth requesting it.

We talked with them about it when the problem first cropped up. They're now sending us fresher stock.