• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exporting File with Outlines into Illustrator

WildFoxDesigns

I have a Versacamm printer and I use Illustrator and then load into Versaworks. Another local company uses Gerber Omega. They have an image that has the cut/contour outlines. When they save it and I open in Illustrator, the cut/contour line will not show up. It is a very complex design and I really do not want to outline it again in Illustrator. Is there a way to preserve the cut/contour lines from Gerber Omega to Illustrator?

Tony Teveris

When exporting, check the Options button, there are a number of options that may help.
What version of Omega are they using. There is a group in the dialog called "Cutter Path"

WildFoxDesigns

I don't use the program, a sign guy near me does. He was trying to send me a file to import into Illustrator. When I do, all the outlines are lost. I'm not sure what version he is using. I'll will forward the suggestions and see if it works. Thanks for the reply!

TheSnowman

Do you have ANYTHING? Whenever I export from Omega to Illustrator, it's just WAY up in the corner of the file, instead of in the box where the design would normally show up, and you can only see it if you view the outline.

Malkin

My Omega is somewhat older, so this is just speculation...

I know that the newer versions have some kind of smart outline feature where you can edit type with outlines and such and the outlines will change and update accordingly, instead of having to completely re-do them.

I wonder if this is related to your problem. You could try to find a way to turn off the smart editing of the outlines (sort of like converting text to curves) and then do the export.

Kraig: Have you tried exporting "selected" instead of "all"?

WildFoxDesigns

Yes, I was actually able to see the image. He also tried sending it maybe two other ways. Could see it each time, but no outlines. There would be a lot involved to redo the outlines in Illustrator.

WildFoxDesigns

I cannot remember exactly what the guy tried when exporting. I am going to write down all of these suggestions and see if we can get it figured out. If we do, I'll be sure to post! Thanks for all the input!

Tony Teveris

If you can not figure it out and do not mine emailing me the PLT file I will take a look at it. Also, what version is he running or Omega?