• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

exporting files as ai vs eps

gabagoo

I don't know if it is my software that creates such a problem (signlab 8) but all too often when customers send me files in ai format they are just a pain to deal with and get cut. masking can be an issue in Signlab and sometimes I can break them and others I cant.

The real question I have is not so much about ai files from illustrator, but ai files from programs like Corel, Signlab or Flexi? First off why would someone export the file as an ai as opposed to an eps? I seldom have issues with eps files. Today an ai file exported from Corel drove me crazy with bits and pieces of it vanishing when I got to the cut screen. It also seemed to put a slight stroke on objects, and when I turned them off the shapes vanished from the screen and even the cut screen saw nothing.

No doubt it is my Signlab, but I am stuck with that.

Locals Find!

I was always taught when sending someone outside, files. I was to convert my fonts to outlines/curves and save as an .eps no matter what program I was using.

I always just thought this was standard industry practice in the graphics and related trades.

gabagoo

I was always taught when sending someone outside, files. I was to convert my fonts to outlines/curves and save as an .eps no matter what program I was using.

I always just thought this was standard industry practice in the graphics and related trades.

I would too and I always send eps files and a pdf... others in this industry, even after instructing them still just don't get it

shoresigns

Honestly, when it comes to cut vinyl I've just accepted that the vector files I get from customers are going to need a bit of work to get them ready for cutting.

I don't know Signlab at all, but either Signlab is your problem or you haven't learned it well enough. With Illustrator you should be able to fix up even the most complex vector files fairly quick if you know how to use the tools properly. I won't go into detail, but the important areas you need to know are the Pathfinder panel, the Select Same Colour function, the Flatten Transparency function (for outlining missing fonts), compound paths and learning all the keyboard shortcuts for things like grouping/ungrouping, releasing clipping masks, Send to Front/Back, Copy/Paste in Front, etc.

I really don't find it much of a pain dealing with these things in Illustrator, so maybe Signlab is your problem.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Of the thousands of files I send out about 85% are ai files created in Illustrator. I would guess that only Illustrator produces a proper ai file rather than say Corel which is non native. Maybe the programming in Corel export software is better for producing eps files than ai files

Part of the problem could be that some ai files have special effects that don't translate well to other software. If I don't know what my customer is using i always save down to v3 or v8 ai files from Illustrator

royster13

I would too and I always send eps files and a pdf... others in this industry, even after instructing them still just don't get it

PDF is not a real file format.......It is just a file folder that contains a "native file" from another program....But sometimes the "native file" is changed so it can be put in the "file folder".....Thinks like converting fonts.....

StudioSignsInc

.eps format is good for most cases but what do you guys do when the files are HUGE? I find that a file saved as .tif from Photoshop, with a flattened image and LZW compression, can reduce file size by over 50%. Mighty helpful when sending/receiving files.

Inkspit Designs

I have always kept my internal design files as .ai and the completed files I send to others as .eps. I haven't been freelancing very long, but I have't ran into any issues as of yet.

DesireeM

.eps format is good for most cases but what do you guys do when the files are HUGE? I find that a file saved as .tif from Photoshop, with a flattened image and LZW compression, can reduce file size by over 50%. Mighty helpful when sending/receiving files.

That's helpful only if Raster/Vector doesn't matter. .eps or .ai files are vector formats. You can't use a raster .tiff file in a CNC router or vinyl cutter...

shoresigns

If the EPS file turns out to be huge, then either you have large raster images in it or very complicated vectors, and in both those cases it will be much safer to flatten the file if you can. TIFF with LZW is good if the file isn't too big, and you can get away just fine with JPEG in many cases.