Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exporting from corel to flexi

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by sunnydaze, Mar 16, 2007.

1. sunnydaze

sunnydaze New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Hi all,

I use flexisign 6 (I know its old but is all I could afford). I purchased coreldraw graphics suite 12 to broaden my skills. I am having trouble converting corel files to flexi. I cut from flexi. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this?

Thanks A Bunch
    Sunnydaze

Tags:
  2. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Export a EPS . . . Covert to PDF . . . Import to Flexi !

3. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Covert everything to curves, and save an extra file as ai. 6. Then bring that file into Flexi. It won't keep the gradients, but everything else should be alright.

I'm still looking for an easier way myself though...

4. sunnydaze

sunnydaze New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I know this sounds dumb but please excuse me. How do I convert it to a PDF.

5. Replicator

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    personally I use Adobe acrobat 6,
    but there are much higher versions now
    and in fact many different programs that will do this,
    maybe some others will comment on this for you !

6. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    I think you should be able to produce a PDF direct from CorelDraw - at least we can in Version 10. (File -> Publish to PDF)

7. learned the hard way

learned the hard way Active Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Old subject covered many times.....This is how I do it.....open or create design in Corel.....select all and click "copy"......open blank document in Flexi and click "paste". Some people say this doesn't work, but I have both programs and have been doing it for years with Corel versions 8 thru X3 on Windows ME, 2000 and XP. All with the same version of Flexi, which for me is VE lxi Expert which came with my first cutter.

8. signs2trade

signs2trade Active Member

I Just Tested The Copy And Paste From Corel X3 Into Flexi 8 And It Works....thanks For The Tip
    Keith

9. Replicator

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Thanks : learned the hard way . . . I'm guessing thus the name ?

10. Replicator

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Looks like SH*T pasting Illustrator into Corel though !

Any better way to do this than converting to PDF ?

11. Tim D

Tim D Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Why don't you design in Flexi? Avoid the import/export all together. I used to work at a shop where we did all of our design work in CorelDraw then exported to Flexi, PITA. Now I work where we do all of our designing in Flexi and cut and/or print straight from it. Saves space on my hard drive too, no extra files.

12. nxtremesign

nxtremesign Member

Aug 4, 2005
    i am not completely sure, but i don't think Flexi 6 will import PDF files
    and we i had 6 an .ai file worked just fine , if u save all copy as curves.
    I am with Tim on the design everything in Flexi, but we do still have people bring me there stuff from Corel. they still need to save as a lower version, 8 or so.

13. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Sunnydaze you file>publish to PDF it in corel 12 make sure you convert the text to curves.

14. learned the hard way

learned the hard way Active Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Yep. Heheh. Learned everything I know by good old trial and error. Lots and lots of trials....lots and lots of errors.

15. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    I think it depends on what you are cutting and pasting.
    If you are moving text layouts and don't convert the text, it works pretty well.
    If you are moving complex paths or text that has been converted to paths cut and paste converts the smooth curves into tiny line segments. This may or may not be a problem again depending on what you end up doing with the file in Flexi.
    For cut files exporting out as a simple ai(version 3) has been bullet proof for me.

wayne k
    guam usa

Attached Files:

16. Signsforwhile

Signsforwhile Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2006
    New York
    copy and paste definitely gives you more nodes. but for quick graphics its ok. its hardly noticeable. and as far as designing in corel and not in flexi - my biggest beef is the graphics quality in flexi. nothing looks like what its supposed to.....thats why i also stick to the design in corel and export as eps and open in flexi.

17. sunnydaze

sunnydaze New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Thanks to everyone,

Copy/Paste worked for me. Never thought that it would be that simple.

The version of Flexi that I have will not support as many formats that corel will. Thats why I used Corel to import instead of doing everything in Flexi.