Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exterior LED lights, do they need to be "inclosed"?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Andy D, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    My customer wants plate aluminum, cut to shape, backlit, mounted outside.
    I know code is different everywhere, but generally speaking, can LED lights be used if
    they will be exposed to the weather? If not, is there a "self enclosed" type of LED light system
    that can be used?

Tags:
  2. Hero Signs

Hero Signs If they let me make it, they will come

Sep 19, 2011
    rosenberg,tx
    please research IP ratings. you need an ip67 light if you are in a moist climate. power supplies must always be contained

• Like Like x 1
  3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Nope. Though proper wire connectors are also required, 'jellybean' style skotchloks work well.
    We use principal quikmod 2 series for stuff of this nature. Cheap and ip67 or 68, I forget. Biggest issue is getting led's to properly diffuse if you are doing individual letters, but for a large logo shape, you can pretty well place them in the center and get a decent wash.

4. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

I went through this with a customer. They had seen something on Pinterest with house numbers, and then there is an old guy near here doing steel ones with a torch, and using the light ropes people decorate their houses with for lighting (complete with extension cords for the power on the ones I've seen). However, there is no professional LED sign lighting designed to be used this way. It has to be enclosed. You can do neon this way, or some other lamp fixture designed to be used outdoors, but I was not able to find any LED solution.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Check the strip joints and see what they use. They always have LED stage lighting and there is a ton of moisture flying around in there (or so I have been told).

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ip 68, silicone hole for class 2 power only, don't run 120v through the wall unless you are doing it in conduit with liquitight connections and something like this:
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1