• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exterior Lighted SIgn Box

CanuckSigns

I see. I called the owner of that electrical company just to see what he says :) That pylon sign that i mentioned - it will have to be certified again, can't use old label, due to electrical parts getting changed. Its pretty anal here about electrical codes in general, thats why i don't touch it & let them do everything that includes electrical :)

We ordered some LED snap frames for a client that were meant to be ESA approved, when we gave them to the client to install, he noticed there were no stickers on them, the manufacturer can't just ship us the stickers to apply even though they claim they were tested and passed. In the end we had to pay for an on site inspection from an ESA inspector, which cost us around $400, which we deducted from our payment to the supplier.

reQ

We ordered some LED snap frames for a client that were meant to be ESA approved, when we gave them to the client to install, he noticed there were no stickers on them, the manufacturer can't just ship us the stickers to apply even though they claim they were tested and passed. In the end we had to pay for an on site inspection from an ESA inspector, which cost us around $400, which we deducted from our payment to the supplier.
Yeah, its what he also told me, they have to snap labels on when they manufacture them. What is ESA? So far i was told about CSA/cUL so far lol

CanuckSigns

Yeah, its what he also told me, they have to snap labels on when they manufacture them. What is ESA? So far i was told about CSA/cUL so far lol

ESA is the Electrical Safety Authority, might be an Ontario thing, they are the body that certifies electrical work is done to code and issues electrical permits.

Kottwitz-Graphics

how do you UL list a kit?

They are not UL. My local town rarely requires it. Sometimes the customer will ask, but when faced with the extra cost and shipping for a finished cabinet, they go with the kit option...

And before anyone says that I'm just throwing components together, I have been in the sign industry for 25 years, and worked at UL shops in the past, and I know what makes them safe, and I build them to UL specifications. If my name is going on it, I make a product that will stand the test of time...

ddarlak

Go Bills!
They are not UL. My local town rarely requires it. Sometimes the customer will ask, but when faced with the extra cost and shipping for a finished cabinet, they go with the kit option...

And before anyone says that I'm just throwing components together, I have been in the sign industry for 25 years, and worked at UL shops in the past, and I know what makes them safe, and I build them to UL specifications. If my name is going on it, I make a product that will stand the test of time...

same here, I have sold plenty of electrical signs without the UL, if the town doesn't require it then it's fair game. It's not rocket science...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
UL? What is this?

UL stands for:
Underwriters Laboratories, an organization that has been around for more than 100 years. If you visit the UL Web site at UL, you can find the following description: "UL is a world leader in product safety testing and certification. It's quite similar to the CE label in many European countries.

When referring to electrical signs, UL Product Spec includes the UL White Book information and much more. It helps you easily locate UL certification information needed to achieve safe, sustainable code complaint installations. This next generation search engine allows you to search, validate, or confirm a wide range of electrical equipment and materials, fire-resistance rated assemblies and systems, and building materials. UL certification programs, services and technical information on products regulated by the NEC® help electrical officials and other electrical professionals achieve safe, code compliant installations. These topics are organized by the same chapter structure consistent with those in the NEC.

I'm not sure if Russia has anything like this at the moment. So far, the only codes I've heard of over there... are postal codes.