Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exterior safe "popcorn" texture?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Big EZ Signs LLC, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Big EZ Signs LLC

Big EZ Signs LLC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Howdy all, got a question I hope someone here can answer. I'm painting a faux monument style sign, and I want to add some texture to it. Now I've noticed there are other signs in my area, where the sign maker put a "popcorn" type texture on the poles, base, etc. Problem is, I can't figure out what it is?

I've tried knockdown spray texture in a can, and that melted off in the first rain. So did a "textured" style spraypaint.

Oh, and because I know someone will ask, I can't find out from the other sign maker, because the are out of business. :p

Anyhow, any help or advice is welcome. I'm at my wits end, I've checked with Benjamin Moore, and Sherwin Williams, and they came up empty.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I think you may want a "drivet" type finish. It's a masonry product.

3. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
  4. neato

neato Very Active Member

May 16, 2003
    Henderson, IL

Did you prime it and paint over it with an exterior latex acrylic paint? If so, I can't imagine it would wash off. If not, I think that was the issue.

5. Big EZ Signs LLC

Big EZ Signs LLC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Thanks guys, I'll check those out!

6. nikdoobs

nikdoobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2013
    lafayette, la