• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exterior Sign Advice

archerdesign

Hi All! I was wondering if I could get some advice from some of you. I'm making a sign for a school which will be installed outside. I'm using 4mm Alupanel, and framing it with 2x4 stained Western Red Cedar. I'll be routering the middles of the 2x4's so the sign will slide in. Im worried about water collecting on the bottom 2x4. I live in a very wet climate so rain is always a concern. I was thinking of drilling drain holes? Or siliconing the base....but am afraid when the wood moves, so will the seal. Any tricks you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance,

Dave Archer
Sechelt, BC
Canada

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Cap it with aluminum flashing. Drain holes will weep, clog with bugs and dirt and probably be the first place rot would start. Silicon will just move as the aluminum will expand and contract at a totally different rate than the wood, creating cracks constantly, so capping it would be your best bet, unless you can eliminate the piece entirely.