• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exterior stand-off sign

Silver Star DC

Hello everyone.

I have a new project coming up and I am in need of some help. My customer is wanting a new sign for the exterior of his new building. The background surface is a stained redwood (Img.1), and wants his logo (Img.2) on a substrate to stand off of the background. He doesn't want any visible hardware if possible. I have never taken on a job like this before, so I am open to suggestions on production.
What would be the best way to elevate the logo from the background? What materials would be best to use for this job? Thanks for any and all advice.

Attachments

• Img.1.jpg
    Img.1.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 193
  • Img.2.JPG
    Img.2.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 174

Silver Star DC

Easy, have the logo and text cut out without a backer, then blind mount it like Gemini would do.

What kind of backer material do you suggest? What kind of blind mounts are would I attach to the backer? Is there an epoxy that would bond the backer material and blind mounts that would hold up outdoors?

CanuckSigns

What kind of backer material do you suggest? What kind of blind mounts are would I attach to the backer? Is there an epoxy that would bond the backer material and blind mounts that would hold up outdoors?

I would use black acrylic as the backer then either apply printed vinyl to the face, or layers of colored acrylic, depending on budget and desired look

For blind mounts, Gemini sells plastic pads you can glue onto the black acrylic with MEK

Nifty Pixy

Nifty Pixy Designs
I just work it out with Gemini they have always been a great help for me. Call them, they can give you suggestions or check out there website.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First of all, how thick are those boards and what size are the finished pieces gonna be ?? You don't wanna mess with PVC and other bendy substrates at that size. They'll flex and shift too much on ya. Make it out of something substantial, like wood. Looks like a somewhat protected area from most elements. Either flatbed print it or cover it with adhesive backed vinyl. Counter sink a few strategic holes and cover over them with either paint or a vinyl patch and do it in the black areas to make it easier.

Silver Star DC

First of all, how thick are those boards and what size are the finished pieces gonna be ?? You don't wanna mess with PVC and other bendy substrates at that size. They'll flex and shift too much on ya. Make it out of something substantial, like wood. Looks like a somewhat protected area from most elements. Either flatbed print it or cover it with adhesive backed vinyl. Counter sink a few strategic holes and cover over them with either paint or a vinyl patch and do it in the black areas to make it easier.

The redwood background material is 3/4" thick. The overall size of the background is 64" x 64", and is under a covered porch area. But that side of the building will the take most weather abuse (wind, rain, snow). I didn't think of making it from MDO board. That would make it easier to cut and fill the holes.

Ok...I think I know how I want to tackle this now. Thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Instead of MDO, how 'bout HDU or some more redwood or cedar ?? At that size, after you glue it up, you can drum sand it to being perfectly flat and smooth. Seal it well, prime it then top coat it 3 or 4 times. If there's a cost problem, then go with 3/4" MDO.

Silver Star DC

Instead of MDO, how 'bout HDU or some more redwood or cedar ?? At that size, after you glue it up, you can drum sand it to being perfectly flat and smooth. Seal it well, prime it then top coat it 3 or 4 times. If there's a cost problem, then go with 3/4" MDO.

Customers will be able to stand next to this sign, will the HDU board hold up if someone was to lean on it too hard or fall into it?

Jean Shimp

A french cleat would work well for mounting. We make our own, just cut two pieces of 2x4 with mating angles. Add another 2x4 at the bottom for a spacer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're worried about clumsiness or vandalism, don't. That's not your concern. The guy has insurance. Anyway, anything there is gonna come under the same conditions and whether it's PBVC, foam or wood, it can all be tampered with, if someone wants to tamper with it.

visual800

I would do the face of the sign out of 1/4" max metal and back it will 1/2" or 3/4" pvc standoffs, possibly making them 5" or 6" pads to put a stud in. I would only stud 3 or 4 in main sign and silicone the others to the wood background. the lettering I would do flush mount since it lower on wall and subject to more damage. Do NOT and NEVER use mdo for anything.

I paint 2 part epoxy on the rear of maxmetal as well as pvc standoffs to insure silicone adhesion

Attachments

• Img.2.JPG
    Img.2.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited: