• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

External Harddrives? Who uses them

Pat Whatley

Two 500gig Seagates (because that's what Tiger Direct had on sale) that have saved my ass more times than I can count.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Nothing that hasn't already been said, but as cheap as they are, you really can't afford to be without one with all your stuff backed up on it.

Shame on somebody who doesn't.

Ditto...it's saved my hiney more than once. I'd be kinda freaked out if I didn't have one, or two, or three, or four. Yep...we've got four...and looking at another for storing our business training materials.

JB

Sideshow

I use externals for everything.

Over the past few years, I slowly got out of storing anything other then programs themselves, or the current project I am working on, on the internal drive.

Once I complete a project, it gets moved onto one of my externals.

I use 2x 1TB WD MyBooks, and a 2TB one. All partitioned a few times.

With that now I still have 2 internal drives, I have a 128GB SSD that is for my OS and major programs only, and a 1 TB partitioned for other programs, and the blank partition is where I store the files of my current project.

My seek and load times are practically non existent, and even loading or saving large files is reduced to minimal times.