• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

External Monitor for HP Flatbed 500

Howdy All, has anyone added an external monitor to the HP Flatbed Scitex Printer? The darn touch screen is so small, it's hard to distinguish between files and I have more than once printed the same file twice, whoops.

FrankW

The connector inside the printer is VGA, but I have tried to connect a VGA-Display one time for diagnosis (I made service on that machines), it havent worked. In addition there is - of course - a separate connector for touch (looks like 9-Pin-RS 232), no idea how to drive this.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
That's interesting FrankW...
If that's how they're set up, touch screens with VGA/ RS232 are pretty common for use in kiosks, POS systems, and equipment use. Used to use those in trade show exhibits before everything went USB and HDMI.
Unfortunately, the issue getting one to work would be the touch drivers to match the monitor and resolution. I'd assume HP probably has the drivers for theirs flashed into the system board with no way to modify it.
Accuview and ViewSonic are two companies that make these monitors in a lot of configurations, including the VGA/ RS232 setups. OP could reach out to them to see if any of theirs might work out of the box with whatever drivers HP uses. Doubtful, but never hurts to ask.

That's interesting FrankW...
If that's how they're set up, touch screens with VGA/ RS232 are pretty common for use in kiosks, POS systems, and equipment use. Used to use those in trade show exhibits before everything went USB and HDMI.
Unfortunately, the issue getting one to work would be the touch drivers to match the monitor and resolution. I'd assume HP probably has the drivers for theirs flashed into the system board with no way to modify it.
Accuview and ViewSonic are two companies that make these monitors in a lot of configurations, including the VGA/ RS232 setups. OP could reach out to them to see if any of theirs might work out of the box with whatever drivers HP uses. Doubtful, but never hurts to ask.
Thank you all for your suggestions. At the very least I would like to just view my files, it wouldn't necessarily have to be touch screen driven. We have orders where the base design repeats but with various text. Because we nest multiple files up to maximize our 8'x4' sheets, it's becomes difficult to distinguish them on the very small screen. It's worth looking into.

The connector inside the printer is VGA, but I have tried to connect a VGA-Display one time for diagnosis (I made service on that machines), it havent worked. In addition there is - of course - a separate connector for touch (looks like 9-Pin-RS 232), no idea how to drive this.
Thanks Frank :) I would be ok with just viewing my files. Going to give it a try...

FrankW

The main board of the machine is just a PC-board. I dont know which operating system is running on that board.

ikarasu

Howdy All, has anyone added an external monitor to the HP Flatbed Scitex Printer? The darn touch screen is so small, it's hard to distinguish between files and I have more than once printed the same file twice, whoops.
Dumb question. But when we ran the FB, we just had it setup to "hide" printed files, so only the non printed files showed up.... And after every print it's just hide the file that was just printed.

isn't that a simpler option than trying to hook up a monitor? At least if you're just trying not to reprint the same file twice.

Dumb question. But when we ran the FB, we just had it setup to "hide" printed files, so only the non printed files showed up.... And after every print it's just hide the file that was just printed.

isn't that a simpler option than trying to hook up a monitor? At least if you're just trying not to reprint the same file twice.
hmm, never thought of that. Thanks will check the setup.