• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Extra Adhesive is pulling up edge of vinyl while printing

jimgoodwin

photo.JPG

I can't figure out how to keep this edge from coming up and touching the print head each time it goes back and forth. I thought of using masking tape that folds over the edge, but I don't know if that would lead to any other problems. I'm printing on the Arlon DPF 8000, which is super-duper-sticky. It sucks that so much of it squeezed out during the manufacturing process. Also, any recommendations on what I can use to clean all of it out with?

Thanks,
Jim

Tony McD

That's a mess.
Did the vinyl shrink on the roll?
I would want to trim the gooey edge off before running it through the printer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've only ever seen that with old postdated vinyl, where shrinkage started before it was used. The buildup on your roller is horrible. I think you either are using old stock laying around on your shelf.... maybe in too much heat.... or they sent you an old roll.

On the end of your box, you'll have all kinds of code numbers. If you can figure it out on your own, maybe that will tell you how old it is.... or you can send Arlon a picture and they can figure it out.

If you know where you bought it, they will have a record on file of when you bought it.

jimgoodwin

Brand new roll, I don't think it shrank.

Cutting off the edge of a 150' roll sounds like a lot of fun, thats probably the best move though.

I'll email Arlon and see what they say.

StarSign

We get the same thing with that Arlon 8000. We have a few extra rollers hanging around and just switch them out then clean off the crap.

jason_hamilton

I have the same issue often with my HP L26500 using Arlon DPF 8000. I use the long Q-Tips soaked in alcohol to clean the "icky sticky" off the rollers about once a week.

pjfmeister

Same here on the dpf8000...we just position the media so the rollers don't touch the edges of the material (between rollers on both ends)