• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Extreme Makeover Home Edition

phototec

Well I just completed my third day working on the latest Extreme Makeover Home Edition house being built in Salado, Texas for SSG Patrick Zeigler who was paralyzed after the Fort Hood attack when he suffered gun shot wounds to the head and three other places on his body. Zeigler and his fiancee will get to see their new home for the first time when they return from vacation Sunday afternoon.

I'm working in a big white tent they call "Art World", if you watch the show, that's where they make all the artsy custom furnishings for the new house. Today I built, oops, just remembered I can't discuss what we are doing, signed a release, must be a surprise for the show when it airs later on.

Attached a photo of the shows designers, Paul Dimeo, Leigh Anne Tuohy, Ty Pennington, and Xzibit. Tuohy is best known for being the mother and wife Sandra Bullock portrayed in the hit movie, "The Blindside".

This episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition will air on ABC sometime in the later part January or early February.

This is my second build with Extreme Makeover Home Edition, I worked on the O"Donnel house in Austin Texas, built in December of 2006, that show aired on ABC in Jan 2007.

It's pretty awesome to see this process, on Monday they were doing site prep work and didn't start pouring the foundation till around midnight, Then Tuesday Morning they started to frame the house, and late today (Friday), the house was 90% complete, and by 2:00 pm Saturday afternoon, the builder will turn over the keys to the Extreme Makeover Home Edition team and we can start moving furniture in and get the house ready for the BIG revel on Sunday after SSG Patrick Zeigler and his fiancee get married at Ft. Hood.

:wavingflag:

If you want more information about this event, here's a link:

http://www.kxxv.com/Global/category.asp?C=202216

Attachments

• Design Team.jpg
    Design Team.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Extreme Makeover Home Edition - Salado Tx.jpg
    Extreme Makeover Home Edition - Salado Tx.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Extreme Makeover Home Edition - Salado Tx (2).jpg
    Extreme Makeover Home Edition - Salado Tx (2).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Paul talking with soldiers from Ft Hood.jpg
    Paul talking with soldiers from Ft Hood.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 159

surf city

Now that's cool. I think it is amazing what they do for people. I hate watching that show cause it makes you friggin wanna cry just about every episode but, I watch it every week anyway. I think that's really nice that this is the second time you volunteered to help out.

TheSellOut

That is awesome!! Can't wait to hear all about it...my wife and I love that show! How do you get hooked up with them?

River Wilde

The Extreme Makeover process is incredible. We helped with the one in Savannah, Ga about 4 weeks ago. It should air sometime in Jan/Feb as well.

phototec

Spent all day Saturday in "Art World", building stuff

Impressive!
Congrats for being a part of such a prestigious event!

I sign, what is impressive to me is the thousands of volunteers working on this project 24 hours a day this week, the home builder said somewhere between 3 to 4 thousand people are involved. It is just amazing to see all the fine folks, skilled and non-skilled giving their time for this wounded solider. There is literally a small village of tents, trucks, trailer, motor-homes, generators, lights etc surrounding the project house, so many volunteers, they have to park several miles away at a rodeo arena and shuttle buses are running all day long transporting people to the construction site. It is a major task putting this effort together.

I just got home Saturday night about midnight to get some sleep, Sunday morning will be the final big push, and the "Move That Bus" revel is scheduled for 2:00 pm.

Attachments

• Extreme Makeover Home Edition - Salado Tx Saturday morning.jpg
    Extreme Makeover Home Edition - Salado Tx Saturday morning.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Extreme Makeover Home Edition - Salado Tx Saturday Night.jpg
    Extreme Makeover Home Edition - Salado Tx Saturday Night.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Art World Crew Only.jpg
    Art World Crew Only.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 141

phototec

Not easy

"No pictures please"....now how'd you do that?

Well it's not easy, I was working for one member of the production crew who didn't care if some of us volunteers took photos, however he said not to get caught by the head of the Art World Department. Basically, the production company doesn't care, it"s the network the doesn't want any photos to leak out before they have the official unveiling when the show airs in Feb.

Here are a few more photos taken with some of the shows designers who filmed scenes in the Art World tent, me & Leigh Anne Tuohy, me and Paul Dimeo, Ty Pennington (I'm in the back on the right), The photos aren't very good, they were taken real quick. Tuohy is best known for being the mother and wife Sandra Bullock portrayed in the hit movie, "The Blindside".

Attachments

• Jon & Leigh Anne Tuohy.jpg
    Jon & Leigh Anne Tuohy.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Paul and me.jpg
    Paul and me.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 136
  • Ty Pennington in the Art World tent.jpg
    Ty Pennington in the Art World tent.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 165

Jillbeans

Have always had the hots for Ty. hahaha
Hey I think it's cool what you're doing.
Will look great on your resume too.
Love.....Jill

Marlene

congrats on being part of this! it warms the heart to see so many doing something for others. makes us all feel good inside and just plain glad to be part of the human race:U Rock:

phototec

Episode going to air this evening

Well it's finally going to air this evening (Sunday 2-20-11) on ABC at 7:00 pm (CT), back in December I volunteered to work on the Extreme Makeover Home Edition project in Salado TX for SSG Zeigler and his wife Jessica.

For those who watch the show, I think this is going to be one of the best, as a veteran, I'm partial to this build because it's for a solider who gave so much for his country, and now his country is giving back.

The builder invited me to the viewing party in Georgetown Texas, about 30 miles south of Salado, which starts an hour before this episode airs on ABC.

If you watch this episode, and they show any scenes taken in the "Art World" tent, I may be working in the background, wearing a blue t-shirt and black base ball cap.

Had a strange thing happen two weeks ago, I was watching the Extreme Makeover Home Edition episode about the Brown family and the loss of their daughter Alex Brown, who died while driving and texting, and without warning I saw myself on TV, there was a clip of Leigh Anne Tuohy giving me a R.A.B. band (Remember Alex Brown), thumb ring, and signing a clip board. I was very surprised because that video was shot in Salado while I was working on the SSG Zeigler build. I guess the producers needed additional footage for the Alex Brown episode and used the Salado footage for the Brown episode (see attached screen shot from the Alex Brown episode which aired two weeks ago).

Here is link for a short special the local TV station made about the SSG Zeigler project to air tonight (upper right corner):

http://www.kxxv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14054261

Attachments

• Leigh Anne Tuohy giving Jon Murany a RAB band.jpg
    Leigh Anne Tuohy giving Jon Murany a RAB band.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 172

signmeup

Congratuations on landing this gig.

Mom always said "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything" but.... am I the only one who thinks it might be better to build a shelter for homeless veteran's rather than spend hundreds of thousands on a single family? I'm sure they are a deserving couple and all but what about all the other deserving couples? I guess I've always had mixed feelings about this show.

phototec

On ABC right NOW Sunday evening

If anybody is interested, the Extreme Makeover Home Edition TV show about the house I worked on in Salado, Texas last December for SSG Patrick Zeigler who was paralyzed after the Fort Hood attack when he suffered gun shot wounds to the head and three other places on his body, is on ABC right NOW Sunday evening 7:00 pm central time.

:wavingflag:

LoneRanger01

It's nice that Extreme MakeOver does these things for deserving people, however the sad part of it is that there has been a number of these deserving people that have had to sell their newly remodeled homes because they could not afford the raised property taxes. I remember the family in Arizona that had to sell their home because they could not pay the property taxes and they could not afford the new electic bill.
Too much help is some times not a good thing.......