Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extruding in Illustrator

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by washingtonsignguy, Jun 10, 2010.

1. washingtonsignguy

washingtonsignguy Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Hey guys,I am using CS2 illustrator, and sometimes i like to give the font the prism effect, using 3d--Extrude--Bevel tool. I never can get this to work it misshapes the font out of control. I am usually forced to create the bevel by hand which can be time consuming. I would like to use this tool it would be great for proofing, so i dont have to put in the time only to find out they dont like it. Any suggestions, User error? Thanks

Tags:
  2. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    would also like to know....

I usually do that kind of work in Gerber, but would be faster in Illy sometimes.

3. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    It does not work well. If you want a good looking prism font you must build by hand. The effect in Illustrator almost always introduces anomalies

4. washingtonsignguy

washingtonsignguy Member

Mar 19, 2010
    So iam not the only one then having problems. I use LXi for sign making, it doesnt have that effect, so i have to do manually. I just thought that would be nice to have for quick proofs. Thanks guys

5. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Does it make any difference if you create outlines (convert to curves) before you do the extrude / bevel?

JB

6. Rustyrussell

Rustyrussell https://www.austinsignco.com/

Nov 27, 2009
    Austin TX
    Converting to outlines does help resolve this issue.

7. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    I have never seen any bevel function in the illustrator effects menu that looks anything like a hand done bevel/prism font. Someone enlighten me

8. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    I think I misunderstood myself. I thought he was talking about making an extruded shadow.

9. artsnletters

artsnletters Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Upland CA
    yup me too...i guess i should read mo bettah. I missed the font bevel phrase. I don't think there is any easy way to do it either, other than doing it by hand.
    Tim