• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

F-2 fuse replacement on an SP-300V questions

Jim Hill

Is this fuse soldered on the board?

Do Roland techs change F-2 fuses on the board in the printer or do they want you to purchase a new main board?

I am waiting for new ribbons cables for the printer heads to arrive before I even think about trying to change the F-2 fuse myself.

The fuse was blown when after installing a new head and the printer head not firing I noticed one of the ribbon cables was not completely plugged into the top slot and I forgot to shut off the power before I unplugged it and then plugged it back in which blew the fuse.

Is the F-2 fuse a 1.6 amp 125 volt quick blow fuse?

Thanks for your help. Jim

GUnit111

Is this fuse soldered on the board?

Do Roland techs change F-2 fuses on the board in the printer or do they want you to purchase a new main board?

I am waiting for new ribbons cables for the printer heads to arrive before I even think about trying to change the F-2 fuse myself.

The fuse was blown when after installing a new head and the printer head not firing I noticed one of the ribbon cables was not completely plugged into the top slot and I forgot to shut off the power before I unplugged it and then plugged it back in which blew the fuse.

Is the F-2 fuse a 1.6 amp 125 volt quick blow fuse?

Thanks for your help. Jim

F-2 is a 1.6amp quick blow fuse. Available from Roland as a separate part. They are tiny; need a steady hand to solder those.

Jim Hill

F-2 is a 1.6amp quick blow fuse. Available from Roland as a separate part. They are tiny; need a steady hand to solder those.
I have contacted a company called Mac Media Corporation and they take the old board and correct any problems for $199.00 dollars.
Has anyone used them in the past. Just wondering before I try and remove the main board and send it off to them.

Jim

euronymous

Don't use Mac Media. For every happy customer there are 5 who say he ripped them off. No need to replace the board either, you can literally solder the new fuse on top of the old one. As long as nothing is plugged in while you work on the machine you should be fine

Jim Hill

Don't use Mac Media. For every happy customer there are 5 who say he ripped them off. No need to replace the board either, you can literally solder the new fuse on top of the old one. As long as nothing is plugged in while you work on the machine you should be fine
Could you please explain how to do put another fuse on top of the original fuse?
I do have a shop with plenty of tools and a very small soldiering iron. How hard is it to remove the main board from the printer or did you some how solder it in place.

If I could find a tutorial I believe I could it myself once I get the correct fuse from Roland.

Thanks Jim

GUnit111

Could you please explain how to do put another fuse on top of the original fuse?
I do have a shop with plenty of tools and a very small soldiering iron. How hard is it to remove the main board from the printer or did you some how solder it in place.

If I could find a tutorial I believe I could it myself once I get the correct fuse from Roland.

Thanks Jim

I soldered an inline fuse holder to the existing blown fuse and installed a 1.6 amp glass fuse. Picked up the fuse and fuse hold from the auto parts store down the street. I did not remove the main board to do it; Just unplugged the power cord before I started.

Jim Hill

I soldered an inline fuse holder to the existing blown fuse and installed a 1.6 amp glass fuse. Picked up the fuse and fuse hold from the auto parts store down the street. I did not remove the main board to do it; Just unplugged the power cord before I started.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and advice with me.
I am going to go to the auto parts store to purchase a fuse and inline holder. I will give it a try.
I really was not looking forward to removing all the ribbon cables and taking out the main board.

Jim

Jim Hill

GUnit111

Question when you replaced your fuse with a 1.6 amp inline glass fuse from the auto parts store was it for a 12 volt system?

I went and purchased an inline fuse holder and the only thing I found close to a 1.6 fuse was a 2 amp glass fuse but I am wondering if I can use this since the printer runs on 120 volts

Jim

GUnit111

GUnit111

Question when you replaced your fuse with a 1.6 amp inline glass fuse from the auto parts store was it for a 12 volt system?

I went and purchased an inline fuse holder and the only thing I found close to a 1.6 fuse was a 2 amp glass fuse but I am wondering if I can use this since the printer runs on 120 volts

Jim

My fuse holder and fuse both say 12/120/250V. The fuse is 1.6A.

Typically most components on a circuit board do not run at 120VAC. Most circuit boards condition the 120VAC coming into it, down to 3VDC or 5VDC. So a 12V fuse and fuse holder should be fine. Remember that 2A fuse you bought is 25% bigger than the one your are replacing. I would still look for a 1.6 or maybe a 1.8 Amp fuse.

Jim Hill

GUnit111

Thank you for explaining just how it works. Now it makes complete sense to me.

This morning I went to 3 auto parts stores and 1 electrical supply house looking for the 1.6 amp glass fuse but so far that is hard to find.

In a perfect world the 1.6 amp would be great but I if I can't find one I may have to try using the 2 amp fuse.

One other question the inline fuse holder I purchased came with a 20 a fuse which I don't need but the wire looks like a 12 gauge wire. Did you clamp on and electric fittings to the wire before you soldered in in place?

Thanks for your great advice. Jim

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It is never a good idea to use a different rated fuse on a circuit. Too low of a rating and it will blow all the time. Too high of a rating and your head and main board will fry before the fuse does. We have the proper fuses on our website: 1.6 amp fuse We also offer a fuse replacement service for $75 plus shipping. Feel free to call in - 303-733-6671

PS: Mac Media has hosed us multiple times. We do not recommend them.

Last edited:

Jim Hill

VanderJ:

I agree it's not a good idea to use difference size fuses.

I am going to use a 1.6 amp fuse but it will be a glass type fuse. I will be using an inline type of fuse so that if it ever blows again I can simply remove the inline fuse and replace it.

I have two of the Roland original 1.6 amp fuses but to solder them onto the board would mean removing the board to do it.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Jim

GUnit111

GUnit111

Thank you for explaining just how it works. Now it makes complete sense to me.

This morning I went to 3 auto parts stores and 1 electrical supply house looking for the 1.6 amp glass fuse but so far that is hard to find.

In a perfect world the 1.6 amp would be great but I if I can't find one I may have to try using the 2 amp fuse.

One other question the inline fuse holder I purchased came with a 20 a fuse which I don't need but the wire looks like a 12 gauge wire. Did you clamp on and electric fittings to the wire before you soldered in in place?

Thanks for your great advice. Jim

I tinned the wires on the fuse holder and then cut them back at a steep angle (made a point). Then soldered the wires to the fuse. My fuse holders were 16g iirc. Now that you mention electrical fittings, it might be easier to solder a spade to the wire and cut one leg off and solder the other leg to the fuse.

Jim Hill

GYnit111

Crimping on a spade electrical connector and then cutting one leg off his exactly what I was thinking to make it a little easier to solder it on.

I could not find any 1.6 amp fuse so I ordered them on line and I should have the correct fuse my Monday or Tuesday. I decided against trying the 2 amp fuse.

Toady I also received two of the Roland 1.6 amp fuses the kind you need to solder onto the board and you almost need a magnifying glass to see them let alone solder anything to them which should be a neat trick to do.

Glad I am the Roland fuses because ever time a fuse blows it needs to be easy to fix.

You have been a great help and I cannot thank you enough.

Jim

Mervin

If the fuse is blown may be there is a problem with the firing board pls check all your board before installing the fuse and the new printhead also do not reverse the cable of the printhead

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Jim Hill

Mervin:

My old ribbon cables for the print heads were 7 1/8" in length but the new ribbon cables they sent me are 13 1/2" in length so I cannot use them and fit they under the plastic cover.

Question how do you know which end of the ribbon cable goes into the head socket?

Thanks Jim

Mervin

The length of the cable doesnt affect pls check a roland technician or support online for the connection i do printer from china but check all your board before connection

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

mryagami

GUnit111

Jim

mryagami

Hi everyone . Here is my solution to the probleme of changing fuses F3 &F2 on my roland sp300v i hop this idea will help u
I hop this video will help u