• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help F2 fuse

Flyndutchman

I am looking for a Simi local cinder to get some fuses. I had took out a head to clean and messed up the cardcable which blew the f2 fuse on the main board. It is a 3.15 a fuse. Any help to locate some fuses would be helpfull. I am in Calif. I have been surchasing online and it seams every thing i find is shiped from China. These places want 3 times the price of the part to ship. $30.00 to ship a $2.00 part. I would like to get it as soon as possible.
It is a Roland VP 540.
Thanks in advance.

Fly N Dutchman

I received some new fuses. Replaced 2 of the card cables that had bent pins on them. It is still blowing the F2 fuse. Any one know what to look for next. it is still blowing the F2 fuse. I removed the carriage board and do not see any problems with it. I looked at the service manual and it seems that the F2 fuse sends power to the M and Y heads. i have even unplugged the carriage board and it still blows the fuse.Any help would be great.I know a bit about electronics but by far no pro.:confused:

Joe House

If you've unplugged the carriage board and it is still blowing fuses, then your problem (at least one of them) is before the carriage board. It could be the trailing cables or the main board. Disconnect the trailing cables from the main board and see if it still blows the fuse. Inspect the trailing cables, look for signs of wear and pay close attention to the contacts at both ends.
If you end up replacing 1, I would do all 3 at the same time even if only 1 looks to be damaged.

Edit: In my service manual, the F2 fuse is protecting the Black and Cyan heads. Did you check the cables to those heads?
Also, it looks like the signal for those heads travel through the ribbon cables in connectors 200 and 202 on the print carriage board and connect to connectors 15 and 17 on the Main board.
If it still blows when the cables are disconnected, then you likely have a bad transistor on your main board. Then you get to figure out what caused the transistor to blow and have you solved that problem already.
Hope this helps. Good Luck

Last edited:

Flyndutchman

I was wrong it was the F1 fuse. My bad. It is for the M&Y heads.
Yes I was working on the Yellow head and had one of the card cables messed up. Had bent the pins on the cable. I think that is what started all of this. I got new card cables and replaced them. Still blew the fuse. Then unpluged the cariage board. Still blew fuse. I will check further.
Thanks Joe. Which office do you work out of? I am one of their customers.

Last edited:

Papajo

You can check my answer in the other thread you opened there F1 Fuse blowing. Now that I've read this thread I might add that the transistors on the main board are probably blown.

Flyndutchman

Know of any one that I can have repair the board? I believe it is tr11. I have never worked on circut boards this fine and my hands are too shaky. I can get the trans but would like someone to install it. Can't afford a $1500.00 board. I am a small shop.

Joe House

Dutch, I work out of the Portland office. Did you check the resistance across the outside legs of the transistor? If it's different than the others it's bad. Just going from memory, I think they should be about 40 Ohms. If you want to get someone local to replace it, check around at a place that repairs musical electronics or sound equipment. They should be qualified to remove and replace the transistor.

Good luck and thanks for your business.

Flyndutchman

Thanks I think I will replace it my self. TR 11showed a direct short. I am hoping one will get here Tuesday. Are these boards only 2 layer boards circuit on top and bottom. I have a pro Weller soldering iron. I have done quite a bit of soldering.