• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fabricated Monument sign

synergy_jim

We just finished this little beauty today. 16" dia x 60" tall sculpted concrete pillars made to look like storage tanks. 47" x 94" x 4" thick HDU sign with aluminum embedded frame.

The pillars are sleeved with 1/4" wall 3x3 steel and welded to the steel tubes we cemented into the ground....

Overall, a great project and an even better learning experience when it comes to the new construction methods we are using.

Attachments

• 4H9A8721.jpg
    4H9A8721.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 4H9A8726.jpg
    4H9A8726.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 111

letterman7

Like the sign, not liking the posts. Too wavy in the forms. I understand its poured concrete, but I may have elected to wrap a thin piece of aluminum around them to smooth it out. Or done the Sonotube route and smoothed out the ridges after it set.

SignManiac

Like the sign, not liking the posts. Too wavy in the forms. I understand its poured concrete, but I may have elected to wrap a thin piece of aluminum around them to smooth it out. Or done the Sonotube route and smoothed out the ridges after it set.

+1 on the post. Otherwise a good overall design concept.

TammieH

Same here, the sign looks great...but...

you should find someone to turn them for you or pick up a used lathe,
I had a Shopsmith that I use to turn custom parts on for the sign shop back in OH

...sign foam is easy to turn, just make sure its fastened well

I know from experience LOL

synergy_jim

ok… you are all misunderstanding the posts…. they are not poured. They are hand sculpted onto a wireframe and steel skeleton. They are supposed to be out of round and have some character. If I wanted perfect cylinders, I would have poured them in sonotubes at the job site.

The whole reason for hand sculpting was to have the look of a hand made slightly out of round post with high spots and low spots…. visually way more interesting than a perfect round post…..

Thanks for the compliments.

MikePro

either way, posts & all, the sign definitely has character!
i like it and i'm sure you client LOVES IT! (which is all that really matters in the end)

TammieH

I suppose if the customer likes it, its all good,

And not to sound harsh, but those posts do not look very professional,
I doubt you will find real storage tanks that look like those.

Sorry, that is my opinion for whatever its worth.

again the sign looks great, I just think the posts take away from it.

synergy_jim

thats awesome Tammie, because I wasn't going for professional.... thats boring. I was going for cartoonish and interesting. So I guess I nailed it!!!