• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

face mounting to clear plex- looking for a better way!

eye4color

I just got the heads up on two 10' x 4' graphics I have to print that the customer wants face mounted on clear 1/4" plex. We have done these before for the same client and we ALMOST get it perfect but there is always an air bubble or two on the leading edge where we first mount the graphic to the plex. We peel the release liner back about 1/2 to get a "bite" on the plex and then we send it through the laminator to mount.

Where we stick that leading edge is always a little flawed. Never an issue with the client but I know it's there and it drives me crazy. Can someone go through the process they would utilize in their own shop? Materials list includes- non adhesive vinyl to print on, optically clear mounting adhesive applied to plex.

Would you apply the mounting adhesive to the board or the vinyl? I've tried both with the same results. Not perfect but I'd say 97-98% there.

Any air egress mounting adhesives out there that do not degrade image quality if applied to the face of the graphic?

Daigleb

We actually have a customer that we do about the same thing for. Only its 22" x 72".
solvent Print on oracal 3640, Then Laminate the print with fixon opti-mount.

The way we mount it is by sliding the plex and the print under the laminator, lining it up where you want it, leaving only about a foot sticking out to mount first. Then drop the rollers to hold it in place. Then we peel the liner of the opti-clear and fold/tuck it under the print and run it through. This should give you a good 6 or so inches of initial "bite". Then flip the plex and run the rest through like normal.

This works great for us, hope it helps!

eye4color

Thanks for the info! I will certainly try your method. :U Rock: Any other suggestions from the forum are welcome!

TresL

I do smaller 2'x2' all the time.

I reverse print on Oracal 210G clear.

Apply it to the plexi via WET method using a BS.
Then apply oracal 651 white over the clear.
You can even print and lam the 651 for a 2 sided graphic as well.

paul luszcz

We keep a 6" strip of plexi around just for this. We leave some leader on the media then do just what you are doing now, except we're starting on the selvage plexi. We run both through and then cut them apart after mounting. The bubbles and junk end up on the 6" piece of plexi and the real piece is perfect.

Sticky Signs

I use the same method as you Eye4 color and sometimes I do get bubbles on the leading edge. Simple fix. Once everything is loaded into the laminator, take the material and flip it over the machine. Now take both hands at either end of the vinyl and firmly grab onto the roller. Now roll the vinyl back just a bit and that will get rid of the bubbles. Hope that makes sense.

eye4color

Signlogic, I've seen samples from the local flatbeds and unfortunately It's not something that will pass for me. But you are right, that would be the preferred route! Wish I had one...

eye4color

Daigleb, I tried your method first. That's the best result we've had so far. I'm a picky SOB, which is why my current crop of customers use me, and I'd give it 99%. Now if we can get our static issues under control I'll be golden.

Next I'll try some of the other suggestions and go from there. Thanks everyone that responded!:thankyou:

S'N'S

Source someone to direct print to plexi

I have had a few reverse printed directly to the Plexi and find them looking very washed out, especially if the negative space is going to be kept clear.
TresL, wouldn't printing on the clear look washed out too?

Signed Out

your static issuse may have to do with the protective film that comes on the plexi we mounted on a 2' x 9' piece of lexan and were told to take the film off and let the material breathe for 24-48 hours before mounting and also wipe down with water after the 24-48 hours. not sure if its the same for plexi but its worth a shot