• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Facebook posts...What to link????

LoGl

Hi all....first, a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

There is something I keep wondering about in regards to good content on my sign co's Facebook page. I have often come across articles that are really great - wether entertaining or educational - that I think would be a great "share" to my followers. Sometimes these links may attach to a trade magazine, or to a trade vendor's site, etc. I feel like I am crossing the line in "sharing" these links sometimes because it exposes my customers to my trade secrets. Other times though, I think "god this is so valuable for customers to read....and because the story is not just coming from me, but from a veteran in the sign business, surely they will take heed". I would love to know your thoughts on this, because putting up good/interesting/educational content to your followers is crucial, in my opinion.

Case in point: Basic Layout and Line Value

LineValueFig9.jpg

picture-1901.jpg

By: Raymond Chapman
Monday, November 25, 2013

In our effort to find the most effective layout, we use many different pieces of the design puzzle to draw and keep the attention of the viewer. No matter how much software we use, or how many bells and whistles we apply to our design, in the end our sign must be readable and pleasing to the eye. To that end, we shall explore here basic layout with regard to line value.
One of the most useful tools for avoiding monotony is the simple procedure of varying the line value of our letter styles. (This is also called weight.) Value is the relative lightness or darkness of a font. Similarly we can control a message by combining line weight with contrasting colors.

• A sign in which all the wording has the same weight is actually very difficult to read because the eye does not know where to focus first.
  • As the line values are varied we can draw attention and direct it to any part of our layout and make any layout more readable.
  • By arranging our copy properly and using varying weights of fonts, you can produce a layout that has a foreground, a middle ground, and a background.
  • By using a basic font like Helvetica in a range of line weights, and using ample negative space, you can direct the eye and still allow a layout to breathe.
  • By placing the darkest color value against the lightest color value we can draw the viewer's attention to our priority copy immediately. The less important copy receives less contrast in color value.=
Use these basic concepts when deciding on the layout of your next sign, no matter how simple.
To read more on this topic, Click Here

Z SIGNS

I think it's a great idea to try and educate your customers.Let them know that their sign is more than just words and symbols on a board

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Honestly.......................

Other than people who really care about this kinda stuff, I'll bet 2/3's or 3/4's of the people in the sign industry which read Sign Business, SignCraft or this site, could give a rat's a$$ about theory or composition, let alone end users or your customers.

Your articles, along with other authors are jammed pack full of tremendous information, formulas and examples, but the people of today want fast results and won't take the time to read this stuff. It takes too much time. Heck, most of them can't even comprehend the difference between red and blue, let alone good color combinations, letter weight, value or balance.

People don't want to pay attention to getting proper permits or having legitimate licensing for doing work and you're worried about giving out trade secrets ??

Believe me, I totally understand where you're coming from, but I don't think you're gonna do any harm to yourself. You'll be helping the very people you wanna help if ya keep it up. As for Facebook and how it's effect is on there....... I don't do Facebook at all and I don't think it's hurt us in the least. It might help some, so perhaps some end users might get a slight education, but nothing they will use against you in the long run. Should your competition pick up on it and happen to read, digest and use your information, well, that's a small chance you might have to take.

keep the articles and help flowing........... :thumb:

Craig Sjoquist

Education is the key to earning a better living. So if a customer knows what a better layout is, as well as anyone else, the more you have to make sure you produce better layout.

Just reading Dan Antonelli new book proves that in taking a proper layout, design, branding & what can happen.
I am placing that book where customers can see & browse through while waiting to pay me more money.

In hopes they will challenge me for better branding for them.

SignManiac

The absolute best education I can give my clients isn't with a thousand words, but a simple picture of a before and after!

visual800

The absolute best education I can give my clients isn't with a thousand words, but a simple picture of a before and after!

absolutely sir! i will also add you cannot educate customers on layout, they will not and do not get it. IF they did get it their layouts would improve. I am always open to an "idea" they have or any drawings on napkins and then work off that. As maniac said a layout will cure all usually.

LoGl

I think you have missed the point all. I am not only referring to layout...it xould be about colors/ branding / new products / different types of things I offer that some customers aren't aware of......and on and on the list can go. I'm probably not talking to those of you who see no point in social media, be it Facebook, Instagram, or whatever. And if people are only clicking on cute kitties...well im mot worried about them either. Ive seen many shops do an effective job online....they are who I seek input /opinions from as I'm sure this thought has crossed their minds too.

Thanks!

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Facebook is a place of sharing ... but really, how many of the silly things people share do you click on? If it's by a company, if it's not about the company or something they are doing ... I almost never click on it. Most people don't give a flying hoot about education into the process of a product they are looking into purchasing ... before and afters work well as others have said. Promotions are another good thing to share. Oh, and works in progress with other 'look at what awesome things we are doing" sort of posts are awesome. Otherwise, just keep it simple and don't overload your facebook followers. They are a simple folk that like to play candy crush, troll their friends lives and 'like' stupid things like cat photos and stupid videos of people being punched in the nards.

Dan Antonelli

We post a tremendous amount of content on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/graphicdsigns) and also on our blog (http://graphicd-signs.blogspot.com/), Pinterest, Instagram. Feel free to share so long as you credit the content to us. Sharing quality content with your readers not only signals to them that you are keeping up with what's happening in the industry, but also serves to help educate clients about issues important to them and their small business.

Our blog posts have been really useful for us, especially when it comes to truck wrap design. We have a few posts on what goes into effective truck wrap design, logo design, SEO, etc and many new leads reference those posts.

There's also obvious SEO benefits to good, quality content. And top of mind, of course, is equally important. It's all about keeping your clients aware of what you are doing, other services you offer (that they may have forgotten about, etc). We have a full time social media coordinator now. Those who ignore the business development aspect of social media are perhaps missing some opportunities.

LoGl

Those who ignore the business development aspect of social media are perhaps missing some opportunities.

Thank you Dan. I will spend some time looking at your content. I completely agree with you. So many on here are so negative. If what they say is true...then perhaps 75% of my followers will only click on my content when there is a cute kitty posted. But when the other 25% intelligent, interested, fascinated, involved business builders out there want know that I appreciate their business and want to always do what is best for them in the way of education (both for myself and to inform them), and with an expanded product line etc. they will glance over what I post. If I can do business with those folks, I am a much happier signmaker. Or, I can just be angry when all I get is the guy who wants a "cheap" sign and undervalues my work.

Ideally....I would have a social media person who could come up with content of our own...but until that day comes, attaching links to industry experts seems the way to go.

I value your opinion. And again, I thank you.

Regards,
Lori

CoreBridge

Each social media platform has its own sweet spot. When it comes to Facebook, think visual, almost like a magazine ad. Anything you post should have a high degree of visual "pop" to motivate the viewer to pause and hopefully Like or Share. For what you are trying to accomplish, try creating an engaging infographic. This provides the visual "pop" you need to attract their attention while simultaneously educating your audience. You could also consider creating a unique picture with a link to a blog post or white paper. This would open up the opportunity to capture leads if they needed to register to read the blog post or download the whitepaper.

ddubia

Sometimes these links may attach to a trade magazine, or to a trade vendor's site, etc. I feel like I am crossing the line in "sharing" these links sometimes because it exposes my customers to my trade secrets. I would love to know your thoughts on this, because putting up good/interesting/educational content to your followers is crucial, in my opinion.

Not too sure about linking to a trade vendor's site if your clients can see pricing but I doubt you'd do that. It can though, show them some of the products available to them which can help them make educated decisions on their purchases... if they read and follow the links.

Myself, I absorb articles like the one you posted. I have read many of yours in SignCraft over the years. It's articles like those that sped me along in my bid to become a sign maker with an eye for layout.

However, I cherish the information because it's my chosen trade. Much like a musician loves articles on music theory that your average "music listener" finds boring and confusing. For a client, I don't know how much they appreciate the value in the information presented. Probably, for the most part, they know what they like when they see it without understanding anything that goes into it.

If you carefully pick and choose your links, taking care not to make them too "technical" for a client, I suppose some can and will appreciate it. Perhaps, if you have a potential client, steering them toward a link or two can help them understand any points you are trying to make concerning their specific project. That could go a long way in "getting your way" with the design avoiding too much uneducated input from the client.

All-in-all, thank you for your contributions to the trade through the years. They've helped me greatly. Good luck in making your decisions on social media and how to best use it. I haven't a clue.