• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Fact or Myth? Printers don't make money unless you run them a lot.

ikarasu

That was going to be my next question if latex has the same problem. Because a latex printer is what I'm looking at right now because I'll be running it my home office and I don't have good enough ventilation for solvents. I do side work and I brought on a buddy of mine to deal with marketing and sales. We've started getting a lot of jobs for decals and smaller stuff that we don't really make any money outsourcing because of minimums and shipping costs. Not to mention if there is a problem with the print it just adds nore time and cost. We're considering buying one just to have the ability to get jobs out faster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Latex is great. I'm doing what your doing... I bought a printer/cutter as a "Side business". The prints look good, theyre instant dry... And the lines don't clog. We run a Eco-solvent at work, and it needs maintenance every single day. We try to run something through it daily... When we're on X-mas vacation, I have to VPN in to print something just to make sure the heads don't dry. You probably don't need to be THAT vigilant with Eco-solvent... but when our heads are around $4000 x 8, It's worth it.

My latex... I go days without printing a thing. Don't need to run a cleaning or nothing... Whenever I want to print I load the media, hit print, and it prints perfectly.

Their new 115 Print/cut model looks awesome too. I'd say if you don't have the volume to print daily on it, get a latex. Even if you did have the volume.. I'm a latex fan, so I'd recommend one anyways. The only downside to the home office latex is it's a bit slow... But I can still print 1-2 rolls a day if I leave it on, so it's not THAT slow. If it's in your budget... go for one that holds more ink, the 400 ml carts run out pretty quick.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Speaking of... Whats the difference between 110 and 115? Of course months after I buy a 110 115 comes out :mad: Oh well, the 110 was cheaper. All I could notice was the 115 had a crosscutter... have you seen the 115s? Are they better build quality or any other changes? Can't seem to find a list of differences anywhere, so I figured I'd ask since you deal with latex a lot!

Yes, that is the main difference is the auto X-Cutter and continuous printing. I honestly love the Print OS software that only comes with these print/cut system. I highly recommend listening to this one: HP PrintOS: re-inventing print production

ikarasu

Had to google continuous printing... Thanks, now I'll be annoyed every time I queue more than 1 thing at a time! ;p

I usually just queue up everything for a specific media in 1 nest and hit send, so it doesn't affect me much.. Same with work. I noticed it did it once, and I thought that was stupid, and maybe I was just losing my mind / it was a flexi issue or something, but guess not... Glad to see they added that.

Seems like that should be addable in a firmware update though... I doubt it needs anything hardware wise, but I could be wrong... and either way, not a big deal for me! The X-cutter would be nice though.

I'll give the printos a listen in a bit!

So far I do love everything about the latex. The only thing I don't like is the take up reel.. it feels cheap. And how you're technically not supposed to use it unless you enable it before sending a print over... I dont know why you can't enable it mid-print, it's never not functioned for me even if I don't enable it via the menu though, so only a minor annoyance.

Besides that... I love it. My works even subbed out some jobs to me because our $40,000 printer is having head problems. Funny thing is it'd cost them as much as buying 2 110's to fix the heads on the seiko... so I've been pushing them to just dump the machine and buy a 570.. Hopefully soon! After working with the latex, all these fumes eco-solvent produces combined with the 24 hour offgassing makes me wish I could just print everything from home.

LetsPrint209

Is this gonna be in your house ?? Do you have children in the place or animals ??

Regardless of what machine you have/get, there will always be toxins in the air. Remember, when they tell you it's safe, that's for a normal work area and they are neglecting to say, the safest inks to use for the environment..... not breathing directly. So, not totally risk free, especially for young tissue or in animals.
Looking to use a roland eco solvent printer in a back room of the house with a wall air vent. SP300i, yes I have a three year old daughter, dog and cat. Should I be over concerned for the family?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Keep your backroom a work area and a work area, only. Don't let your pets in and out, at least while you are printing. Don't let you kid in at all. Just be safe. Besides, you'll probably have other things in there unsafe for little ones, like knives, tape, small objects and numerous other things which in a workplace are taken for granted