• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Factory vehicle lettering

Jeff

My town is home to a Chrysler assembly plant. This is not the first time I have seen factory lettered vehicles setting on the lot . . .a few here . . . a few there. This time there were 200-300 sitting there all lettered up.

Lettered_vehicles_at_Chrysler_1.jpg

Mostly United Rentals & Donan but others as well.

Lettered_vehicles_at_Chrysler_2.jpg Lettered_vehicles_at_Chrysler_3.jpg

I know this is nothing new I just had never seen so many at one time. Good sign for the economy? Bad sign for some sign company? Surly some sign company used to letter vehicles or provide decals for these companies.

Does anyone know if back in the day factories had sign "painters" pre-letter vehicles? I can think of a few times the local auto dealers would hire me to letter a new vehicle for a customer of which I had never dealt with.

"Here's the name he wants on it . . . he said for you to just do it how you see fit"

Oh well . . . Just pondering about another day in the life of a old sign guy . . . I doubt anyone else going by noticed or gives a crap!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Had a kinda circuit/loop set up. Did so many cars/trucks striping a certain day a month. Usually on a Saturday, I'd see 3 or 4 different lots for pinstriping cars. They'd set all the cars up in a line, tell me the colors and away I'd go, down one side, back up the other. Pinkie out and just a little fancy turn at the end. Two colors paid better.

As for lettering vehicles, they'd set their customer up, I'd come out after work and letter one or two trucks in an evening. It was something I could count on several times a month from various dealerships.

Some places had their own hand painters/stripers, but they usually did body work, when not lettering.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We work closely with local dealerships and their lease customers. Sometimes we do a LOT at once, never done them at the factory but do a lot there at the main hub.
So, even though its not you doing them, hopefully someone local is!

OldPaint

they may be doing the same thing COKE/PEPSI/BUDWEISER/MILLER has done. all of these have gone to "in house" lettering and wraps on all their trucks/vans anf they also do their own banners for their customers ...........FOR FREE.

rjssigns

Good luck with that. Price for something is always included in final price. I am surprised there are still people around who think that some one will give something for nothing.

The distributor never charges for design, delivery or installation. Client no longer has to deal with copyrights, fonts, layouts etc... Rep comes in with all the marketing collateral and will build the displays and do whatever else to effectively market their product.

It is a value added service and I don't know of a sign shop on this planet that can step with that.

The client never sees a line item charge so it is "free" to them. That is all that matters.

Mosh

We do a lot of lettering for our local car dealers. No wraps, they have a "certified" wrap place do that. They don't do too many, I know of only two all of last year, while I bet I lettered over 75 for them.

jfiscus

Rap Master
they may be doing the same thing COKE/PEPSI/BUDWEISER/MILLER has done. all of these have gone to "in house" lettering and wraps on all their trucks/vans anf they also do their own banners for their customers ...........FOR FREE.
That is not true, we wrap all of the local Pepsi trailers and quite a few beer trucks also. And get paid well for it!
Now Pepsi DOES print in-house, but some things they have figured out they cannot do in-house. (like wraps)

Bretbyron

That is not true, we wrap all of the local Pepsi trailers and quite a few beer trucks also. And get paid well for it!
Now Pepsi DOES print in-house, but some things they have figured out they cannot do in-house. (like wraps)

Then the question is, how do you get those install jobs?:thumb: