• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fade behind a image

tintgirl2000

I love Corel and have used it with my plotter for years. I now have a printer so I am making the jump from always thinking in vector fromat to bitmap images. I have a vector image that I am placing on a bitmap image and want a soft fade around the vector so it will stand off the bitmap. I don't know how to do this...Can anyone make it simple enough for even me to catch on?

tintgirl2000

Here is the image. I exported whole thing as jpeg for attachment. I want a fade behind the policeman ( he is a vector )

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
without seeing the image, i'd open up in photopaint, bring in the vector policeman, create a glow around the policeman, save, and reopen in draw...put your vector on top....granted, at this point putting the vector on top doesn't do much, and i would agree with shovel that the two can look bad together if not done correctly...

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I love Corel and have used it with my plotter for years. I now have a printer so I am making the jump from always thinking in vector fromat to bitmap images. I have a vector image that I am placing on a bitmap image and want a soft fade around the vector so it will stand off the bitmap. I don't know how to do this...Can anyone make it simple enough for even me to catch on?

You can use the drop shadow tool in Corel Draw. This will look nice on your monitor but may not reproduce well. Corel Draw has some real problems with this. Most likely you will end up with a slightly discolored rectangle that bounds the drop shadow. Even if you separate the drop shadow. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

The fool proof method is to duplicate the object you want to drop shadow, convert the duplicate to a bitmap, edit the bitmap in PhotoPaint where you add a drop shadow then separate that drop shadow from the object, delete the original object, and save the result back to Draw. Then position the drop shadow under the object.

And there you are...

tintgirl2000

sorry

here's the image

Attachments

• police.jpg
    police.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 68

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Just do a drop shadow behind the vector...but do it OFF the bitmap. Then place it over the bitmap. If you do a face over it..sometimes it gets boxed lines. If I didn't understand what you wanted...sorry.

Shovelhead

Just me....but I would add a Photoshop filter (watercolor) to the raster
to stylize it add to the cartoon feel.

Attachments

• police.jpg
    police.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 79

Jim Doggett

I tend to prefer a subtle change to the background to increase contrast ... a glow or stroke around the foreground element looks a bit contrived and pasted-on, IMHO. Also, will a text or some other element be added to balance it and communicate a message of some kind? Such as ...

cop.jpg

Shovelhead

I tend to prefer a subtle change to the background to increase contrast ... a glow or stroke around the foreground element looks a bit contrived and pasted-on, IMHO. Also, will a text or other alement be added to balance it and communicate a message of some kind? Such as ...

cop.jpg

....and there you have it.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i think the drop shadow would be sufficient....if any type of glow, i'd add a black glow so he doesn't looked radioactive...

EDIT: changed my mind....i like jim's much better!!

luggnut

I don't like the combo of photo and cartoon much either... maybe a background like wyle e coyotes?

Attachments

• 111806-road-runner.jpg
    111806-road-runner.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 52