• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fade behind a image

G

gps-hi

you want to fade the background not the cartoon. Assuming the background is a layer and not the locked background (if it is, then you double-click on it to "float" it to a layer). Select the background layer, add a layer mask, make the layer mask a gradient from black to white as desired.

If you want the fade to follow the contour of the cartoon you can either add a white glow to simulate the fate or create a layer based selection from the cartoon's layer then switch to background layer, feather the selection and use it for the backgrounds layer mask.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
you want to fade the background not the cartoon. Assuming the background is a layer and not the locked background (if it is, then you double-click on it to "float" it to a layer). Select the background layer, add a layer mask, make the layer mask a gradient from black to white as desired.

If you want the fade to follow the contour of the cartoon you can either add a white glow to simulate the fate or create a layer based selection from the cartoon's layer then switch to background layer, feather the selection and use it for the backgrounds layer mask.

why go through all that when you can simply use the object transparency tool?

G

gps-hi

In retrospect, since it's a cartoon I think you could use a cartoon effect to help pop him from the background. Here I've placed a starburst behind him. I did soften up the background too.

Attachments

• police copy.jpg
    police copy.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 47

Jim Doggett

I do like Jim's best. That is what I am trying to get...I do like Day's shadow on the road as well.
Thanks guys

Aw shucks. Thanks for the kudos.

Here's some Photoshop tweaks ...
cop2.jpg

Gradient shadow (gradient fill with selected color from road + 100% K and then distort); add a slight gaussian blur (2 px or so) and reduce to 70% opacity

Very slight bevel effect on Smokey, with lighting angle matching the shadow direction. This, subtlely helps with contrast and gives ever so slight dimension to Mr Killjoy.

Then flatten and adjust brightness/contrast to balance out contrast.

Photoshop is the best add-on to CorelDRAW, IMO.

Drive safe,

Jim

tintgirl2000

wow

You're like unbelievable. That really does look good. Any chance you could just send me that without the lettering. I need to put my own in. I would return the favor but I do believe you have probably already forgotten more than I will ever learn.

Jim Doggett

Not a problem. Sorry for getting back to you so late; dinner out with a friend.

Can you send me the CorelDRAW file of the officer and the background image? That's easiest and best. (jim@go2bk.com)

It'll be fun. And thanks again for the compliment.

Best,

Jim