• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Faithful Mimaki Strikes again

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
So my Mimaki cjv30-130 (cmyk) had some problems with contaminated prints which ended up being a combination of small things...now fixed. However, now a new problem arises. Please see the attached photos. I noticed it in some prints that I normaly print with these colors...like a magenta/very light purplish bleed through in in blue colors and white discoloration in greens. The green sample here those white streaks in the middle are not a reflection, that is the print. The blue sample is hard to see the purplish hue but its there right in the middle pretty much. Any ideas? Dampers perhaps?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3wg3F6FsbydW3npf7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rYWZDeNgkDe5VnNB6

x3noeB9mKhZMgAfP6

3wg3F6FsbydW3npf7

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
The pictures aren't showing on my end. How old are the dampers, cap top, and pump?

Wow fast reply! All are under 3 months old and I clean every single day. This literally just started two days ago. Same color, same prints and all of a sudden it appears. Oh, and nozzle check comes out literally perfect. But it should, the head is only 1.5 months old.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Wow fast reply! All are under 3 months old and I clean every single day. This literally just started two days ago. Same color, same prints and all of a sudden it appears.

Working from home the last few weeks and this is my only outlet lol! I would check to see if there is any air in the ink lines and if there is, there could be air getting in somewhere and that would cause drop out. It's also possible that the little claw part that the damper connects to is failing or the o-ring between it and the ink line is malfunctioning. I would also just clean the encoder strip to make sure that isn't causing the issue but I doubt it. Does the material seem to be buckling during the print? Other than that, how does the test print look?

rjssigns

Does it go away when printing unidirectional?

If so it could be dampers, or an air leak, or worse case the head.

My Roland was exhibiting some of the issues you posted, but only on certain files. Unidirectional cleared up a lot of it. Would still need a head, but it was good enough to still print wraps.

From decades of racing I learned this. Just because it's new doesn't mean its gonna work.

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
Working from home the last few weeks and this is my only outlet lol! I would check to see if there is any air in the ink lines and if there is, there could be air getting in somewhere and that would cause drop out. It's also possible that the little claw part that the damper connects to is failing or the o-ring between it and the ink line is malfunctioning. I would also just clean the encoder strip to make sure that isn't causing the issue but I doubt it. Does the material seem to be buckling during the print? Other than that, how does the test print look?

Oh yeah I suppose, alot of business's shut down! I'm fortunate enough to be working my day job yet. But that may change any day now. I can pop the cover and take a look at them but I'll be honest I don't really know how to troubleshoot the dampers. My black ink is getting pretty low, estimate says 10% left. Maybe that is letting air in? The media is curling a bit upwards on each end while you look down at it... It's a fresh roll of orajet 3561RA... But I'm going to pop in a roll of wrap vinyl and do a test print and some more solid color squares of the problem colors. I'll post the pics shortly!

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
Does it go away when printing unidirectional?

If so it could be dampers, or an air leak, or worse case the head.

My Roland was exhibiting some of the issues you posted, but only on certain files. Unidirectional cleared up a lot of it. Would still need a head, but it was good enough to still print wraps.

From decades of racing I learned this. Just because it's new doesn't mean its gonna work.

I went ahead and switched out the media and did the same exact squares as the first set on the previous media and they came out essentially perfect...I'm thinking solventinkjet is on to something with the buckling. I'm going to slag off about 6 feet of the other new roll and put a tail on it for the takeup reel and see if that helps. I'll report back tomorrow!